help picking mobo

seecaldy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
im new to the forums and this will be my first computer im building myself(will have a few experienced friends helping me out) but im having trouble deciding on a mobo. i have a BFG 8800GTS and will be getting an E8400. This computer will be used for gaming and pretty much nothing else. i have a mac that i use for A/V and the likes. also any suggestions of RAM would be greatly appreciated. id like to run 2x2gb. thanks a lot in advance for any help

seecaldy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
also, id like to keep my options open with SLI, i could get another 8800GTS pretty cheap now so in a month or two they'll be practically free.

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005

The best motherboards (intel chipsets) do not support SLI

seecaldy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
i dont NEED sli just was saying i would consider sli boards. i was looking at the 680 and 780i EVGA boards but i think its may be more than i need, again any help is greatly appreciated

Given that Nehalem is gonna hit the market end of this year and beginning 2009, you are presented with the option of holding off for the Corei7 and mobos with the X58 chipset; or buying what is available today. As a side note, the X58 chipset will support both SLI and Crossfire.

Just my opinion, but if you are buying before Nehalem is released, then I suggest either a mobo with the Intel X48 chipset (Crossfire) or the nVidia 790i (SLI) chipset.

EVGA, XFX, or Asus make top notch 790i mobos.

Gigabyte, Asus, DFI, and MSI all ahve excellent X48 mobos.