Sign in with
Your question

For people who have built lots of comptuers...

Last response: in Systems
June 25, 2008 2:00:29 PM

What brand of motherbaord have you had the best luck with? I want to know what brand of mothebroard out there has the least trouble and error prone and hasn't came DOA.

I'm going to buy me a new mobo and I want to know what brand is best. I don't wan't to recieve another DOA board....

June 25, 2008 6:36:31 PM

Ive build about 20 or so PCs since 1997. Ive primarily used ASUS boards. I have an old ASUS board that I bought back in 97 that still works.

Recently I have started using Gigabyte as well, and now prefer them to ASUS.

Ive NEVER had to RMA or warranty either an ASUS or a Gigabyte mobo. However I have had to update BIOSes to get things working at times.

Ive tried ECS, MSI, and have had some issues with those. EVGA and XFX both make decent Nvidia chipset based mobos. I have a buddy that is a dyed in the wool Abit guy who has never had an issue with that brand.
June 25, 2008 10:23:12 PM

I've also good luck with Biostar boards. Gigabyte boards, I've only had one, which is in my rig now, very solid it seems.
Related resources
June 26, 2008 8:24:25 AM

The local guy that operates a very successful shop, sells parts, sells built comps, services a few major brands, etc., tells me he's never seen a bad Intel motherboard.

If you only want reliability out of the box Intel might be the way to go.
June 27, 2008 3:02:10 AM

I've had good luck with Gigabyte boards (BIOS is better than ASUS too) never had one DoA, but have killed one (bad PSU). Stay away from MSI tho (nothing but issues with em) ECS is good if you are building a cheap system, same with Foxconn.
June 27, 2008 6:02:26 AM

Well with Gigabyte most of the Bios setups will allow u to OC ur cpu , but by far for gaming I would recomend XFX they are truely awesome. Otherwise Intel is very good I have one and It has taken alot but is still working really reliable
June 27, 2008 7:55:23 AM

I would tend to disagree with all these answers. I own a computer building business and have built all kinds of computers for different uses, with different brands of motherboards. There is NO manufacturing process immune to defects, so your best bet is to choose based on chipset, features, customer support, and warranty.

I've had bad experiences with EVGA, ASUS, Gigabyte, and every other brand I've used. I've also had good ones. What dictates my lasting satisfaction is not whether the board arrived defective. What I listed above is what makes the lasting impression. So don't buy a certain brand based on the superstition that you won't get a defective board. Get what you want based on your criteria, and buy the board regardless of others' experiences with it coming DOA, unless it's a 50% failure rate or something absurd.
!