Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Seagate 7200.11 1TB going to the dogs?

Last response: in Storage
October 24, 2009 7:07:47 AM

Hello, I have a seagate 7200.11 1TB drive that I currently use as a storage drive for all my media, and as such, it is only used when I'm watching movies or installing something.

Recently (~2 months ago), when I accessed the drive after a longish time of no use (say first boot up or 30 minutes of no use) it makes a really loud spinning noise, then followed what sounds like the arm hitting the side rapidly (whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl....click.click.click.click), this causes the read/write to delay about ~5 seconds max and then it would continue on as normal, this won't happen if I'm continuously using the drive.

I'm using windows 7 with AHCI enabled, and was wondering if this is a new "sleep" feature for power saving (yeahhhhh that 1000w power supply is green alright) and the damned thing is coming out of sleep or something, so was wondering if there is a place to set it, or else if this sounds like a dying HDD.

BTW speed fan reports SMART is NOT tripped, I know it can be useless, but when the thing works fine and don't have any issue accessing data otherwise. Are there any HDisk testing software that will actively test the drive instead of reading SMART data?

More about : seagate 7200 1tb dogs

a b G Storage
October 24, 2009 7:18:14 AM

sounds like a faulty drive

try disabling the hdd spin down power saving feature in power options and see wether that eliminates that issue

also back your important data up (you should already have done that though - never trust any 1 storage solution etc)
m
l
October 24, 2009 7:36:05 AM

yeah WD black 1TB here i come... and these are just some easily replaced stuff so yeah
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 24, 2009 11:32:04 AM

The .11s were quite failure prone, and it does sound like yours may be failing. I'd get either a 7200.12 or a WD Caviar Black to replace it as soon as possible.
October 24, 2009 4:51:51 PM

blah, it seems that i dont have much luck with seagate lately, before they were really nice, but a .10 320 GB failed and had to RMA, and now this .11 is failing
m
l
a b G Storage
October 24, 2009 8:03:12 PM

I'm surprised about the .10 - those are quite reliable for the most part, and a friend has a system with 6 (yes, 6) 7200.10s (4 500s and 2 750s) that have been working perfectly for the past two and a half years. The .11s were the problem drives.
m
l
October 26, 2009 2:14:48 AM

sadly local computer shop only carries seagate and WD, it is their strategy of "main stream" and "performance" to not confuse buyers....

m
l
!