zorrothepiking

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I'm using the CoolerMaster Hyper TX2 CPU cooler on my XFX 780i Mobo. The CPU header is 4 pin (+12V, Gnd, Tach, and PWM) and the fan is only 3 pins, which means that my fan is able to report its RPMs but runs at 100% all the time.

I believe the classic way to control fan speed was by varying the voltage to the fan (probably from about 7V up to 12V), which would only require the three wires. However, my bios does not seem to give that option, and the XFX rep I spoke to said he was unaware of any such option.

Is there a utility that will allow me to control my CPU fan in the traditional way? Speedfan has no effect, so I presume it's attempting to control my CPU fan using PWM. I just need a simple utility that will let me set a lower RPM for operation under a certain temp and that controls this by adjusting my CPU fan voltage. Any ideas?

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Usually in the Mobo bios there is a temp setting for each fan header. You can adjust when the fan is on low, at what temp, change the values. Look there. It came with a book right?

Ohhh...... I see ya tried that. can you replace the fan with another 4 pin one? Easy enough usually.

smyffalis

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
download speenfan. you should be able to do it with that. is there no way you can do it in the BIOS, change it onto performance or silent modes? thats what i done after months of a roaring fan in the morning. its silent now!!! artic freezer pro 7. and i could do the same with my stock c2d