Tags:
  • DVD Writers
  • DVD
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
October 24, 2009 11:32:25 AM

First Drive.

This is an MSI ATA drive. If I insert a CD or DVD containing pdf files it is quite happy, and I can see the files, but if I insert a DVD containing mainly jpg files, or one with an iso file, or my Vista installation DVD then I get a message that there is no disc in the drive. File manager says the device is working correctly and it has the latest drivers.

Second Drive.

This is a Ricoh MP9200A which was working correctly as I could see an iso file and it was happy if my Vista installation DVD was inserted. However, now it has a blank DVD RW in it and the disc light is on permanently and I cannot eject the disc using the button on the front or the eject button in Windows Explorer. This is still true even if I switch the computer off and then on again.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Viv

More about : dvd drives problems

November 2, 2009 5:02:00 PM

evongugg said:
First Drive.

Look for a firmware update.

Second Drive.

Replace the drive. This is a good SATA one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for the suggestion. Strangely, when I installed the first drive in a Vista computer, not the Win7 computer it was originally in, it was able to read all files. Both drives are now in a computer I am going to give to a charity which sends computers to African schools so I can forget about the problems I had.

Viv
!