Sign in with
Your question

help with a mostly mmo/rpg gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
June 25, 2008 3:21:00 PM

So I want to make an mmorpg/rpg gaming pc (I also like the occasional rts, thats it though I do fps and multiplayer on my ps3/xbox360) but I want to know what people think are going to be minimum I can get away with to get a solid 60+ fps in games such as WoW and Warhammer Online (which will be a little higher in terms of graphics, from what we can speculate), and 40+ fps on games such as Age of Conan. I want to be able to max out most rpgs on 1680x1050 but the very demanding ones I guess I can take a little hit in AA or shadows/etc for performance. A side note, my moniter says horizontal 65khz and vertical 59.7 Hz. Does that mean it can only display around 60 fps maximum? If so that helps because I wont need some crazy card that gets me 100 fps haha.

I do not need an hdd or optical drive

I want a quad core, so q6600 or q9300, and I will be overclocking a moderate amount.

I am thinking a p45 board, but I want the best price I can get. 4 gigs of ram, timings do not have to be great but it should be good at overclocking.

PSU I am thinking the corsair 550w is a good deal, on buy.com its inexpensive, and case I don't really know. There are some combos with cpus on newegg, but those cases are kinda expensive anyway.

GPU - either 4850 or 4870. I am not building this second so there is a chance that the 4870 will go down in price. But I could get a 4850 and assuming I end up with a p45 that has 2x pci 16x I could always add another in months if needed.

So what do you guys think, is this doable under 1000$?

Thanks

More about : mmo rpg gaming

June 25, 2008 3:32:55 PM

1. Quad core is useless for mmorpg...get the e8400.
2. For the best price be flexible, the X38 or X48 or P45 are all good...get ASUS!
3. NEVER go cheap on a PSU...there is a reason that they are cheap! Go with a PCPower and Cooling Quad 750 model!
4. Getting the 4850 sounds good.
5. Under $1,000...perhaps.
June 25, 2008 3:41:57 PM

bornking said:
1. Quad core is useless for mmorpg...get the e8400.
2. For the best price be flexible, the X38 or X48 or P45 are all good...get ASUS!
3. NEVER go cheap on a PSU...there is a reason that they are cheap! Go with a PCPower and Cooling Quad 750 model!
4. Getting the 4850 sounds good.
5. Under $1,000...perhaps.

an x48, 750 pc power and cooling is not going to land me under 1k bro and I want the quad because I play mmo's in windowed mode anyway I am constantly either on aim or internet or itunes or etc.
Related resources
June 25, 2008 3:50:49 PM

if you're on a budget go with the E8400, get a x38 or x48 board as they will be best for overclocking and I do agree with ASUS, Gigabyte boards are good too and a little cheaper from what I read, but my last 2 build have been with ASUS and both have been great. Definitely get a good aftermarket heatsink.
if you're not going SLI or Crossfire then you should be fine with a 520-650 psu.

You can do it for under 1k if you go with the E8400, it'll be a little harder to do if you go quad.

Only thing to keep in mind is that as new games come out that will utilize the quad core CPUs your machine will become outdated faster than if you spent a little more now and went quad.
June 25, 2008 3:53:02 PM

The P45 goes down to 2x8 pcie when running 2 video cards. I'd go with an X38 board.

The corsair 550W PSU should be fine for 1 card but if you add a 2nd you'll probably need something better. The PC P&C 750W is probably a good choice, or the Corsair 750W which runs for $99 on buy.com.

I'd probably go with the Q6600 if you're overclocking.

June 25, 2008 4:21:09 PM

ben10218 said:
an x48, 750 pc power and cooling is not going to land me under 1k bro and I want the quad because I play mmo's in windowed mode anyway I am constantly either on aim or internet or itunes or etc.

You think you need a quad core because AIM is open while you game? If it's REALLY taking up that much CPU time, perhaps you should just dump AIM and download PIDGIN.
June 25, 2008 4:31:15 PM

rodney_ws said:
You think you need a quad core because AIM is open while you game? If it's REALLY taking up that much CPU time, perhaps you should just dump AIM and download PIDGIN.

He thinks he needs quad core because it's new and everyone thinks they need quad core.

Core 2 Duos are powerful enough that you really don't need 4 cores just for a game and a few programs. For what it's worth, I'm running an overclocked E4300 and I rarely game anymore without Folding running in the background. So far I haven't noticed any major performance issues doing this.
June 25, 2008 5:01:02 PM

where do you find out that info that it splits it into 8x o.o If someone didnt tell me that I would have been in deep crap for CF haha
June 25, 2008 5:12:17 PM

If you want quad, go with the newer Q9xxx. At 1680x1050 gaming resolution, you are more bound by the Graphics card. Go over the charts on this review. You'll notice that around 1600x1200 nearly all processors, regardless of quad or dual performed at near unnoticable framerates.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/cpu-scaling-in-games-with...

!