Rolling back top older BIOS

quofiend

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
First post... Newbie.. amatuer.

System is "Chillblast Oblivion" . Mboard is ASUS P5B-PLus VIsta edition. Overclocked by CHillblast at 2.7GHz. Intel E6420 Core 2 Duo 2Gig.

So.. I recently was real stupid.. and upgraded BIOS to 0804 in a vain attempt to see if it would solve the issue of the machine failing to boot whenever ANY USB device is connected.. (eg ipOd or external HDD). Any USB device turned on will cause a freezes at ASUS Splash screen.
(read some entires here about working through devices tho find out which one.. but for this machine it is Any device in Any USB port) .. so no idea how to fix it. . But this is not the question..

SO.. upgrade worked. and as you all know.. didnt solve problem ..
AND I've now lost all the overclocking and do not know the settings.
So..
1 - Can I revert to original BIOS ? I have the file backed up with the ASUS Update prog.
2 - Will this reset the BIOS to the overclocked settings ?

As you can tell, I'm no bios guru and have never overclocked myself.. but know enough to alter BIOS etc..

Can anyone dig me out of this hole

THanks
Kev.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Normally, the BIOS flash program you DL from the MB makers website, WON'T let you flash to an OLDER BIOS ver than is currently installed.

But there is a different flash program that can let you do that.

Anyway, about your "overclock settings".... or any other settings that are changed from the default settings.... They are gone. If you were to flash back to the older BIOS, it would still just have the DEFAULT settings. It would be the same as if you reset the CMOS via reset jumper or battery removal.

So if you never wrote down what the settings were changed to for your overclock, they are gone.

Just thought of this, you could see if Chillbast can give you what the settings they used when they set up your computer... and set those with the newer ver BIOS.

Dunno if this will help you - but I had a problem with an older EVGA mobo where it would freeze 90% into the BIOS load. Pulled each and every device inside - same result.

Forgot to pull the monitor's USB (hub) cable out. Once I did that, the machine booted successfully. Then plugged the USB cable back in while in Windows, and all has been fine ever since.

quofiend

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Thanks both... I am contacting CHillblast to see if they can help with settings. As for the Freeze up... I am baffled why anything would work this way by design. The whole point of such systems is so we can have peripheral devices attached. A PC is supposed to be a convienience. I do not want to plug and unplug devices .... ho hum.. end of rant.. I think we've lost the plot of computers :))

quofiend

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Just to close this off.
Great service from Ben at Chillblast. Called them. Straight through to someone who new what they were about. Instantly guided me through resetting BIOS anbd machine is running as it used to.

He also sorted out the USB issue. Disable Legacy USB
FYI - Any HDD device was leapfrogging the boot order. Since I cannot get to the BIOS SETUP when they are connected - catch 22.... but disabling Legacy USB option works. It boots with them connected .. no probs.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Good to hear that Chillblast was able to help you out.... hope you write down what all your settings are.... just in case you need to reset again.

It's a pain in the arse.... but you could take a snapshot of all the BIOS setup screens with a digital camera. Just make sure you can read the final picture, then burn em to a CD so it's harder to loose them.

TRENDING THREADS