HD 4870 audio questions

papasmurf211

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Alright i understand that the HD 4870 has its own audio, however everytime i boot up my computer windows detects an unknown PCI device with this new card. I have the latest 8.7 beta drivers installed and im almost postive that the PCI device is the HD 4870's sound. Anyone know where i can get these drivers, also what overclocks u guys getting. I maxed out the CCC core oc to 790 but i only get 1065 on the mem or else i get artifacts in atitool.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Do you have your PC hooked up to a TV? The only way you are going to get the sound from the card is sending it to a TV via HDMI or what not. Unless you are doing that then I wouldnt worry about it. However it should be enabled by default once you have the drivers installed. Under Sounds it will come up as Digital Output Device (HDMI).

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
About the overclocking, you'll probably need to turn the fan speed up to get the OC stable. Mine is running rock solid in games at 790/1100 with fan speed set to 45%. For normal use I have a profile set to stock speeds and fan speed at 30%, because it's quite a bit quieter that way.

You can change the fan speed by making a profile in the CCC (make sure ATI OverDrive is checked) then going to:

C:/Documents and Settings/{your user name}/Local Settings/Application Data/ATI/ACE

Find the profile you made (same name you gave it), open it with notepad and change the following lines:

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="MANUAL" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="45" /> {or whatever you want}