Soldier in Need of Help

cab6c2

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Greets All,

Soldier deployed to Iraq here. In the process of getting a 2-way iDirect satellite network set up here for a small group of my guys. My question is, if I get a network set up and spread out between said 15-20 soldiers, am I going to need some kind of LAN or Network server that will prioritize connections based on application use such as VoIP etc.

Right now we are looking at setting up an unlimited data network @ 3072Kbps D/L // and either 512Kbps or 1024Kbps U/L. I am fairly familiar with wiring up a LAN/WAN at home in the states over a cable or DSL connection, but I don't know the first thing about satellite internet and prioritization of data for certain applications to attempt to reduce the jitter/connection lag for those particular uses.

Also, can anyone with experience in this field give me some sort of estimate as to what my guys can expect from this type of connection in terms of actual D/L and U/L speeds? Most of us simply want a reliable network to IM, Surf, and play games on (MMO's etc.). Our current network that is purchasable on post only allows 2KB-12KB/s which varies depending on peak usage time... They drastically oversubscribe their network, and they are giving soldiers a daily data limit and ripping them off. Kinda sad actually.

So to summarize (for those of you who don't bother to read large walls of text):

1.) With an iDirect Satellite Fixed 2-Way connection, do I need any kind of network/bandwidth management server to optimize user speed and prioritize VoIP applications etc?
2.) Is there any tricks/tips for setting up a satellite network more effectively for a 10-15 client subscriber base?
3.) What kind of speeds can I expect on a 3072Kbps D/L // 512Kbps U/L connection with a 20:1 Contention Ratio?

Very Best Regards,

SPC Brian
Al Asad Air Base, Iraq

P.S. If you'd rather communicate with me via email, feel free to drop me a note -- xion.axiom@gmail.com

JustAGuy51

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Brian,

I do not know about iDirect satellite Internet and I don't think I need to know about it for your situation.

Check out packeteer packetshaper device. Basically, you can set up like this:

satellite signals <--> iDirect equipment <--> Packeteer <---> the rest of your network

In the figure, iDirect equipment will take care of everything with your provider AND you don't need to touch it to configure QoS (bandwidth prioritization). But you do need to configure packeteer for QoS. You can get packeteer from ebay; note that it has license tied to range of bandwidth shaping. It looks inside protocol to differentiate services, meaning make sure you buy the model that supports VoIP

JustAGuy51

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
A bit of my VoIP knowledge: each VoIP line (plain, no compression) consumes about 75 Kbps to work reliably. If you need more info, you can check out dslreports forums.

Latest posts