Sign in with
Your question

Usb ide controler

Last response: in Storage
October 24, 2009 5:24:16 PM

My problem is that after I format my laptop's hdd with an USB ide controler and installed my hdd back to my laptop I can not install any os. Any ideas?

More about : usb ide controler

a c 127 G Storage
October 24, 2009 5:27:08 PM

"cannot install any os"

Which OS'es did you try? Why can't you install? Do you get any error message? Is your HDD detected by the BIOS and/or operating system install utility?

Of course, a simple "does not work" is hardly enough information to address your issue. Please give us as much information, and exact letter-by-letter correct error message you may encounter. Only then may we offer a solution to your problem.
October 24, 2009 5:48:00 PM

Win XP pro, vista, windows 7 (for another reason 64 bit), ubuntu, yes the disk looks ok at the bios, My laptop is a siemens amilo pro v2020, centrino 1.6.
At win xp install i can reach until the page where I have to select a partition. As soon as I press enter to select a partition my laptop turns off. No error message displayed. With vista after I see the cursor the laptop turns off. No error message displayed again.
Related resources
October 24, 2009 6:59:50 PM

bios updated and everithing ok
a c 127 G Storage
October 24, 2009 10:57:19 PM

So your laptop just powers down? Eek... that's a hardware issue not a software issue, i presume.

This can have numerous causes, but likely there's something not very good with your laptop. You should return it if you have warranty; laptops or PCs shouldn't power down instantly because of a software operation.
a b D Laptop
a c 93 G Storage
October 25, 2009 5:03:00 AM

I'm not sure where you stand, but this is the recommended method

1) "Eraser" (i.e. http://www.harddriveeraser.org/) *this does not Format. It erases EVERYTHING which is how the drive actually arrives.

2) Install Windows (FULL, NTFS) *The "Full" is to read/write and create a Bad Sector table. Always install as FULL and NTFS. (also partition if necessary or do later with software)

Other recommendations:
- Create a backup with Acronis True Image to a second drive of your Windows C-Drive.
a c 127 G Storage
October 25, 2009 5:13:29 AM

1) Eraser is used for privacy reasons, and overwrites the harddrive with random junk data to prevent any data recovery; this has nothing to do with hardware issues causing a computer to instantly shutdown.

2) A full format will not allow the harddrive to fix its bad sectors. The "bad sector table" called $BadSect on the root of your NTFS partition serves to index sectors which are 'bad' and damaged. However any HDD you bought in the last 5 - 8 years will have internal bad sector reallocation; they have a reserve sector pool which they use to swap bad sectors with reserve new ones. So the $BadSect file is not required on any modern harddrive.

Also, a full format will only read the entire surface, not write zeroes to it. A harddrive can only reallocate bad sectors if its written to; so a complete zero-write on the drive will allow the HDD to swap any bad sectors for fresh reserve ones.

Aside from any software issue, a computer that instantly powers down while it shouldn't has a hardware problem; software shouldn't be able to do that it can only provoke the bad hardware to show any vulnerabilities or weaknesses.
!