Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel X-25m G2 OEM vs Retail

Last response: in Storage
October 24, 2009 8:55:53 PM

Is it worth it to get the retail version of the X-25 m g2 or should I just go with OEM, I'm asking this because I am unsure of what perhipals come with the Retail versions of Solid State Drives and if they are needed for installation

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Thats the drive i'm looking at right now, any help is well appreciated.

More about : intel 25m oem retail

a b G Storage
October 24, 2009 9:08:47 PM

The OEM is the drive alone. No cables, no manual, no mounting brackets. I have no idea how much comes with the retail version though.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
October 24, 2009 11:00:05 PM

The last two letters of the Intel X25-M product code is the shipping volume/packaging; though its the same product, Intel wants to give discounts to companies that listen to Intel, but others will have to pay 'full price'. This kind of business mentality is widespread unfortunately, and prevents real market competition.

So just pick the cheapest version, as long as its the X25-M G2 you should be good.
m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2009 12:27:30 AM

So if I get the OEM drive what else do I need to mount it. Just a sata cable? Srry I just have no idea when it comes to SSDs
m
l

Best solution

a c 127 G Storage
October 25, 2009 1:21:31 AM

Installing an SSD is no different than installing a notebook SATA hdd, you need:

- SATA data cable (red coloured) to be plugged into motherboard SATA port
- SATA power cable (black coloured) to be connected by your power supply

If your power supply does not have the new Serial ATA power connectors, but only the 'old' 4-pin Molex power connectors, you need a converter cable, like this one:

a c 127 G Storage
October 25, 2009 1:24:49 AM

Oh i forgot, since SSDs are 2,5" form factor (the same as notebook HDDs) you may want to use a 3.5" -> 2.5" bracket, so you can fit the SSD in the bays designed for normal desktop HDDs, which are 3,5", while notebook HDDs and SSDs are 2.5".

It could look like this:

You don't absolutely need it though, as SSDs have no moving parts there should be no important reason to just put them at the bottom of your case secured with some tape. That's actually what i'm using for my SSDs. :p 
m
l
October 25, 2009 1:34:36 AM

sub mesa said:
Installing an SSD is no different than installing a notebook SATA hdd, you need:

- SATA data cable (red coloured) to be plugged into motherboard SATA port
- SATA power cable (black coloured) to be connected by your power supply

If your power supply does not have the new Serial ATA power connectors, but only the 'old' 4-pin Molex power connectors, you need a converter cable, like this one:

http://www.sierra-cables.com/Cables/Images/SATA-Power-Cable-1.jpg

Oh ok thats perfect then, so its pretty much like a regular HD just need the power and sata connector? There's no optimization software included with the retail version is there?
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
October 25, 2009 1:56:01 AM

Nope, no special software for SSDs, its just a normal harddrive as far as your operating system is concerned, as it obeys the SATA spec.

It has the exact same physical connectors as any SATA notebook HDD.
m
l
October 25, 2009 2:23:08 AM

Thanks man thats exactly what I wanted to know
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 353 G Storage
October 25, 2009 9:27:42 PM

Retail version comes with 2.5" to 3.5" converter, OEM does not. Thats the only diff I know of. Just recieved my G2R5 (R5 = retail ver)
m
l
October 25, 2009 9:36:18 PM

Chief where did you get the retail version, i'm having a hard time finding one
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 353 G Storage
October 26, 2009 2:44:55 AM

From Newegg. They had it in a email flyer. A combo deal, practicaly a free after MIR $120 mid ATX case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Both case and Intel 80 gig G2R5: = Total Amount: $269.99 - $30 MIR = $239

Currently SOLD OUT but here is the link for the Intel 80 gig G2R5. You will just have to keep checking as they sell out rather quick.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
October 26, 2009 4:12:05 AM

Thanx man
m
l
!