New PC don't boot completely • Help PLease!!!

danker

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
I'll try to be as short and clear as I can.

I assembled my computer yesterday.
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
Intel Q9450
Mushkin 2x2gb DDR2 8500
GeForce 9800 GTX
New Power Supply 600W
I'm using the same case: CoolerMaster Cavalier

The only constant error is:
The light of the floppy remains on. The same floppy I was using 10 minutes before in my old computer, in the same case with the same cable.
The boot process stop after 2 seconds that the Windows XP logo appears and restart by itself.

Now I have plugged in the mobo the CPU with its cooler, only one memory stick, HD, my old video card Nvidia660 and the power switch.
Noting change.
I tried using another HD also with Win XP and I got the same result. The boot process stop after 2 seconds the logo come up and restart.

To write here in this forum I'm using my old computer assembled on top of a shiping box and using the same HD that I want to make boot up on the new system.

I have to work with this computer and make it works, but my knowledge are not being useful naught now.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Well your floppy light stays on because your floppy cable is backwards. Turn the floppy cable around so that the end that was in your floppy drive is plugged into the motherboard and vice versa. As far as rebooting 2 sec into boot, it may be blue screening but if you don't have the option in windows to not automatically restart upon system error then it won't show you the blue screen, it'll just reboot. I'd take a formatted hard drive and boot into a Windows cd, freshly install Windows, and see if it'll boot then.

G

disable the floppy drive in the bios... it doesn't boot if it has a floppy drive for me... like at all at any point... I don't know if you need your floppy... but i'd turn it off just in case...

I'm guessing your processor is overheating or is under voltaged... when first made this computer I had the heatsink on the wrong way (wasn't my fault... no directions whatsoever and the difference between the sides was like a mm) and it made my computer terminate the boot sequence after a little while... also when its under voltaged then it can get to the xp logo and then terminate part way through

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
I don't see a new hard drive listed so the question is did you wipe and reformat the drive and do a clean install of XP or are you trying to use your old installation of XP with the new hardware.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Essentially, it should still work even if he did do that. I've done it many times. But, that's why I said it might be blue-screening and he just needs to try a fresh install and see what happens. I could be a simple driver instability. Occassionally you won't be able to reuse a current Windows XP install with a new system, but 9 times out of 10 it will work.

danker

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
First of all thanks for your interest and try to help me.

Floppy issue: I'm using the same case so the floppy was in there. I just unplugged it from the old mobo and plugged in to the new one.
The CPU temperature is around 32º C, less than my :=)
Also I removed the cooler and CPU to see if there was something wrong there. Everything looks fine to me so I placed them again.
Nothing changes after that.
For the CPU voltage configuration I'm leaving the "auto" options because I don't know yet how to overloking.

danker

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
The blue screen appears for les than a second. I had to record this with my digital camera so I can read it. I said something about a virus or bad sectors on the HD.

I'm waiting for my new HD. I decide to use my old HD because I have (had) a dead line for tomorrow. Also I never had this kind a problem before changing HD's from one PC to another. I know it's not clean but...

danker

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
The blue screen appears for less than a second. I had to record this with my digital camera so I can read it. It said something about a virus or bad sectors on the HD.

I'm waiting for my new HD. I decide to use my old HD because I have (had) a dead line for tomorrow. Also I never had this kind a problem before by changing HD's from one PC to another. I know it's not clean but...

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Unplug the floppy and just try a fresh install of Windows. We'll probably be able to help you alot more once we know it's not the OS that's the problem.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Yeah, I agree that the floppy cable is on backwards. If it has a plastic tab on it to keep you from plugging it in the the opposite way(into the back of the floppy). The trick I learned from an older tech was get a knife, cut the tab off, and put it on there the other way anyway. Had to do that once, and it worked for years I think.

Steven Bancroft

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I had this problem before, but I think I accidentally plugged the floppy power cable in backwards. Be sure that the ribbon cable and the power cable are properly oriented.

hottie_parms

Distinguished
May 21, 2007
Try downloading a Linux live CD (e.g. http://www.knoppix.net/) or booting from the Windows CD.

If you are able to boot into either environment and (in the Windows CD) get into the Recovery Console without restarting, then I would say that you need to reinstall Windows on your hard drive.

I had the exact same issue when upgrading. I hoped that I could keep the same Windows installation, but Windows doesn't like it when you change things like a motherboard. Sometimes it will let you get into Windows so you can "reactivate Windows", others it will blue screen and restart just as you've described. It depends on the severity of the hardware change, I'm guessing that you upgraded a lot of older hardware to more up to date stuff.

So my advice is to wait for your new hard drive to arrive so you can install Windows fresh or wipe your current hard drive.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Floppy aint your issue at all but you can fix it like is stated. You need to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows from scratch. If you have a Dell or other manufacturer Windows CD you need to buy a new one.

Regardless of what some noobs say, it is never wise to put a hard drive from one computer to another one, without reisnstalling Windows.

BlackKnight7891

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Reinstall windows when you up change hardware that drastically Windows will get very upset with you. you only solution is to format reinstall, (i had the same problem with my vista machine when i swapped out the motherboard only.)

danker

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Sorry for the delay.
I was busy with my new PC!!!!!
After a new and clean instatation everything works fine.
Thanks guys