spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Nice heatsink. The power plugs are in the DUMBEST position ever, what the hell? Also those benchmarks are somewhat dissapointing in some aspects, but like the wrap up says drivers are to blame. Also the HD playback seems be fall behind the GTX 280 which is odd being that this is an ATI strong point.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Lol, what's wrong with them? I'm sure it'll come with molex adaptors like all others.

4745454b

Titan
I looked at the CoD4 benchie, then went back to page one to find out what I could about the card. From what I see, the rumor mill is wrong, as it states that there is 1GB of memory on each side of the card, with each GPU having its own GB. People have been talking about how it was supposed to be 2GB shared, but that doesn't seem to be the case. (bummer)

Pardon me, now that I've read about the card, I'm going back to read benchies.

4745454b

Titan

It would have been nice to see the power plugs curved. They aren't in a bad position, but because they aren't curved, you're going to need a bit more cord length. You have to remember that they were measuring CPU usage for DVD play back, so the lower the number the better. The CPU usage WAS/IS lower for the r700 compared to the GTX280. This is a good thing.

Honestly, I'm not surprised by these numbers. A single 4870 can come close to the GTX280, so I would expect 2 of them to do even better. A shame that Crysis is still lower, but most games do better on r700 then the GTX280, so big deal. As long as the r700 comes out at a lower price then the GTX280, the pressure should still be on. Even if the price was the same, the r700 is better due to the increase in performance.

cokenbeer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
Those benchmarks look awesome! I decided a few weeks ago to wait for the 4870X2 and it seems like it's gonna pay off.

As for the one low point, crysis, it definitely looks to be a driver issue considering the fact that a single 4870 is close to the cf and x2 in performance. I can't wait to see some more previews/reviews for this card!

mathiasschnell

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
I'm pretty impressed. Aside from temperature and the imminent power needs, it seems like the R700 soundly trounces the GTX 280 by at least 25% in almost everything (Crysis excluded of course). But then again, ATI cards have almost always been very hot and power hungry, yet still handle it very well, and no one's really complained about it much in the past.

Factor in that this is an ES, there's still better drivers to come, factory OC's, custom coolers, etc, etc. and I could see things just getting better and better.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Turn..up...antialiasing..settings...... -_- stop.. the...fluff...testing...

Identical fps to 4870 CF is not something to get excited about; i'm pretty disappointed with this card so far. This was supposed to have 180% scaling of 4870 CF, it is quite evident that either AMD or this website is blatantly lying about there figures.

Drivers shouldn't even be relevant if the gpu is using the advanced communication technology that its supposed to. Looks like its bottlenecked by something if it is.

That Crysis test is a joke too, 1280*768?

I'm sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but there is a lot lacking from this preview; namely TEST PLATFORM??? 3.2ghz CPU?? It seems pretty obvious that in the Crysis test the CPU must be bottlenecking the r700 and the 4870CF because their performance should be way higher and the playable resolution should be higher too.

Blah, i'm really questioning whether this is legit or not - wait for a real review because I think the testing method has to be gimping the r700, and if its not im really disappointed. :/

satanpro

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
This is much better than I had expected. I would like to see more previews with newer drivers though. Why they used 8.6 is a mystery to me. And like ovaltine says, the Crysys test is something of an anomaly... I wonder why.

royalcrown

Distinguished
First of all, this "review" smells fake...and I'll take 1 card and avoid the crossfire crap and 2 slot sucking cards, so even if it isn't faster than crossfire, i'd still get it.

The Crysis preview results are close enough to the results AnandTech published in their preview to make me think it's probably not fake.

mathiasschnell

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007

Dude... the tests were all at 1920x1200 & 2560 x 1600, 4xAA (8xAA for HL2), 16xAF, except for the Crysis one. That's already pretty high, what more do you want?

snag06ka4.jpg

crysis.jpg

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

A 3.8-4.0 ghz benchmark at 1920*1200 that is standard like in every other review site.

Do you even know anyone who actually plays Crysis at 1280*768 res?

jjokubauskas

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008

ud be surprised. i do because its the only way i can use medium settings on my 7800GTX 256mb(dont laugh). but it still looks ok cuz i use a crt (22" NEC)

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
The GX2 is still the strongest in Crysis:| lol :p Too bad Crysis sucks:). I was hoping it would do alittle better in COD4, I mean the GX2 is over the 280 in COD4.

I'm going to wait for official benchmarks and hope that we'll see better benchmarks.

hannibal

Distinguished
Most importan thing at this moment is that the card seams to be stable. Ofcource, there was only few games, that they were allowed to test, but in anyway this seems to work ;-)
The improvement was said to be 18% not 180... So it seems to be guite near what ATI said before, maybe a little bitt less.
Next I would like to see what are sound levels when you compare single 4870, cf 4870 and 4870x2. I like the speed, but wakuum cleaner is not what I wan to hear when I play games...

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Another new release with hyped up expectations turned bust. It seems like everyone believed it'd scale as a single gpu. If you put that idea aside, it's not that bad. :p