Opinions: should AMD give up on CPU?

concrum

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
I want to hear your opinions folks regarding AMD and their CPU business. I think we don't need to prove wether AMD's CPU is better than intel's or not, the only thing we need to discuss is, how is AMD going to compete with intel again? because at this rate, they will be left behind by intel. Not only slightly behind, but intel may be able to make a 4 years jump in CPU technology.

With Larrabee on the horizon, it looks like they are going toward a revolutionary design, while their current Quad and C2D still dominating the market in sales and performances.

Should AMD give up or they give another try?

edit:Not to let Intel walk alone in the business, but big cxompany with huge budget for R&D and experience should replace AMD in the CPU business, IBM for example... a great company with half millenium experience and huge budget.

dario77

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
yes...just as soon as intel puts in writing that a "budget chip" will never hit a "low" price of over $100 usd....
otherwise, you could be looking at a 150-200 dollar "internet/word" processor.
the OEM's would never have it....without competition (as history shows), the OEM's have to depend on a sole provider, and should said soul provider fail to execute in any way, it makes the OEM's unstable.
seriously, this is going to be a "discussion"? perhaps you should title it "should AMD give up on HIGH END cpu", since thats the only segment they're failing to compete in. even the most vehement intel fanboi can tell you that...
no AMD cpu's = price fixing beyond your wildest imaginations. remember that...

It goes both ways with the pricing. Intel keeps AMD in check while AMD keeps Intel in check.

I don't think AMD should give up. They have a great product but their management is what is broken.

If Dirk is what people say he is he should be able t better manage the company BUT with the Board being one of the biggest factors in AMD and Hector still there I feel it may be harder than it should be.

concrum

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Not to let Intel walk alone in the business, but big cxompany with huge budget for R&D and experience should replace AMD in the CPU business, IBM for example... a great company with half millenium experience and huge budget.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

QFT

Do these people not get that a world without AMD= Obscene Prices?

falcodakrzz

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
They shouldnt give up because intel would just become slouchy, there prices would become high and their technology wouldnt advance as much due to lack of competition. Although I don't see how AMD make any money in the cpu market, especialy of late, as no one would buy an AMD processor over an Intel one if they knew remotely what they were doing; Intel beats AMD in both performance and value.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
There is a problem with simply passing the torch over to IBM or another large company. The x86 licensing.

AMD is our only hope (VIA doesn't count). Worst case scenario they will just fall back into the budget region or find a niche market.

dario77

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
thank you, everyone...
you've echoed my sentiments far more elegantly than i could hope to, and i appreciate that all true enthusiasts, no matter their preference or allegiance, can agree that an intel core-manufacturer/developerSOLO is an obvious step in the wrong direction for everybody involved...not the least of whom is the consumers...us!
really....don't we have better things to "discuss"?

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I think AMD should give up unless they come out with a Dual processor Deneb system to compete with Intel's high end 3.2 Ghz Nehalem (Core i7).Plus I think they should come out with an Dual CPU AMD brand motherboard to match it (Motherboard support for their current Phenoms has been very confusing to many).Otherwise they will be left behind and will be losing more money which they cannot afford to do right now.

dario77

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

i smell sarcasm smoke, but there is some fire in the words you speak...

4870x2 is largely regarded as having taken the performance crown for single card gpu....perhaps a dual-deneb "octa-father" setup could benefit from lessons learned and be engineered to throw challenge to nehalem...

i'm not gonna stop calling it "nehalem" until "i7" stops looking totally lame and "i wish i were an apple"-ish. really....emulating the marketing "strategy" of a company who thrives on the "youth market" (the people who are environmentally conscientious) while posting constantly the worst environmental record of any tech company in existance (this includes companies under china's...AHEM...strict...environmental restrictions)...
i understand the marketing ploy at hand, really....i just think it smacks of old-school cronieism and a total disrespect for the intelligence of the "core-audience"...

i've left my soapbox behind...anyone want it?

sailer

Splendid
No way should AMD quit. But they do need to get a better processor out and Shanghai is supposed to be that. As it is, the latest in the Barcelona series chips aren't all that bad, though they eat a lot of power. The latest Phenoms, coupled with a SB750 chipset are overclocking fairly well. They're just very hungry when it comes to power.

It needs to be remembered that the vast majority of AMD's business does not come from computer enthusiasts, but from businesses, big businesses. This is where AMD needs to concentrate. Forget whether or not a CPU can achieve a high overclock. Build a CPU that can do a lot of things and not use a lot of power doing it. Then if it runs fast enough and maybe overclocks a bit as well for the enthusiast crowd, good. But don't try to compete with Intel in the "who can go the fastest' game.

While it is great to see ATI doing what they used to do its not enough to keep AMDs CPU division alive.

I don't think a dual CPU setup like QuadFX will be the answer and making a dual core CPU now would be too costly. From what I heard AMD is taking K8 and adding some newer Phenom based features to it and releasing it as Phenom X2. So its technically K8.5 or maybe K9. But taking that even current Phenoms do not perform above C2Q I doubt that the K8.5 will be able to beat C2D easily and more than likely will not be able to compete with the Nehalem dual core.

Basically what Sailer said is make another K8. But that probably wont happen until K11 in reality.

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Right now AMD has the best strategy going for them and by saying that i mean they have the fastest GPU cards in the world they have a very solid chipset with the fatsest IGP in the world and on top of that they make CPU's which is the weak link in there product line!

Alot of people will be looking past the Phenom's somewhat slower performance and buying into AMD's complete platform. Which until ethier Intel starts making competetive GPU's or Nvidia starts making competetive CPU's AMD has something nethier Intel nor Nvidia has and that is a complete in house platform that perform's very very good!

At this point i only see AMD's marketshare going up! In the long term if Intel's Larrebee or whatever is even some what competetive then i see Nvidia going broke and i see Intel trying to copy what AMD is doing which is having an all in one home and bussiness solution from the factory!

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007

From wiki :
"The 8086[1] is a 16-bit microprocessor chip designed by Intel and introduced on the market in 1978, which gave rise to the x86 architecture. Intel 8088, released in 1979, was essentially the same chip, but with an external 8-bit data bus (allowing the use of cheaper and fewer supporting logic chips[2]), and is notable as the processor used in the original IBM PC."

Texas Instruments had a 16 - bit CPU called the TMS9900 that was released in 1976, two years before Intel released theirs. Intel is not a leader, they never were!

How long has Intel been regurgitating the 8086 architecture?

WE NEED A CHANGE.

Intel is a leader because the x86 architecture caught on. Reason was because it was simple to write for.

Just because I like to mess with people here is a clip from your same Wiki article you read up on to try to bash Intel with:

The TMS9900 was used in the TI-99/4 and TI-99/4A home computers. Unfortunately, to reduce the production costs, TI chose to use in these systems just 128 16-bit words of RAM. The rest of the memory was 16kB of 8-bit DRAM that was accessible only through the video display controller, which crippled the performance of the TMS9900.

So due to this it wasn't able to expand like the 8086.

Either way there wont be a major change to the CPU in a long time. Not even from AMD or anyone because change is to hard to do on a massive scale. So x86 more than likely will be here to stay for a long long time.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Yeah this is very true. We all remember how slowly Intel moved on upgrading processor core tech prior to AMD putting out the Athlon, and then the K8 Athlon 64 cores. Actually I can think of a lot of people that would buy AMD processors that do know full well what they're doing, I am one. Everyone touts Intel processors OCing headroom on the newer lines. But, from what I remember, Intel procs have almost always been able to hit clocks up to 50% higher than the stock clocks. Even back in the old P2 days, the Deschutes based p2 300's and Celeron 300A's could easily hit 450Mhz. I don't think thats changed since.

Actually if AMD decided to leave the x86 market, they have the option to give the license to another company. At this point in time I think that'd most likely be IBM. If you take the time to read the cross license you'll be able to find the specifics of it. Besides, IBM already develops 2 or 3 different processor families as it is. But, both are RISC based architectures. If they obtained the x86 license from AMD they would be able to completely cross CISC(x86) and RISC based architectures to end up with some insane super processor(rampant speculation) which is one of the things Intel fears the most in the case of if IBM obtained the license from AMD.

I don't it would be too costly, they could basically just adapt the Turion Ultra to the desktop, they'd just need to get the clock speed up on it. It's just not cost effective for them at the moment due to only having one active fab. On average Phenom is about 8-9% slower clock for clock than Conroe. 10-15% slower than Penryn. So, if the claims of 10-15% performance gain due to tweaks in Deneb/Shanghai hold true, that could put Phenom in line with Penryn or at the least as good as Conroe. Even now if you tweak things properly while OCing you can get pretty close performance clock for clock with the b3's.

So no, I don't think they should leave the CPU market. What they need to do is start using better Cache memory technology. Perhaps ZRam that is only 1 transistor long, and very low latency, or the other new cache memory tech I forgot the name of that is 2 transistors long, and fairly low latency. That would allow them to either shrink die size, with decent amount of Cache, or have huge amounts of low latency cache.

One of the things that I read in the technology brief about Nehalem was that it uses a modular design. Basically if Intel wants to, they can chose how many core cpu can be plugged into the rest of the die, at this time 2 cores, 4 cores, and possibly 8 cores possible at release. AMD really needs to change to that kind of die design. Where the rest of the processor stays the same, but the number of cores can be changed on a wafer by wafer basis. They also need to improve their prefetch units.

Not many people stop to realize that the Nehalems cores are basically modified c2d cores. You also gotta really look back and think about the fact that AMD hasn't changed architectures majorly since the k7. K8 is just a modified k7 core with AMD64 support, and an on chip IMC, with improved clock speeds. All k10 is is a farther modified k8 core, made to work with a unified L3 cache, and new SSE instructions. The original k7 core wasn't made for high clocks speeds, which is why at the time it was excessively difficult to push them past 2.4ghz, it actually says a lot that they've managed to push that base architecture to 3.2ghz.

Something I've noticed over the past year or so, is that prior to Penryn's launch if you ever looked at the CPU charts and went through them you'd notice a few things. I took the time to go through all the bench numbers, and look at what processors consistently placed in the top 10. 6-7 of the processors in the top 10 on those charts were Intel core 2 extremes, which I'd expect. 2 of the other processors were the c2d e6850, and e6750. But, there was something else I also noticed, the Athlon X2 6400+ was almost consistently in there at number 8,9 or 10. And that was the top ten out of all processor that were listed on the charts at that time. So in the main stream arena that put the x2 6400+ into the range of #3 or 4 on the top 10, with the e6600 and x2 6000+ following close behind. But yet you never heard anyone give props for that, it was always, the intel proc to completely wipe the floor with the AMD proc, even though it was usually not by a large margin.

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008

lol..........half a millinium...... :lol:

about pricing...this is what ma eco101 teacher who completed masters frm MIT had to say: "altho monopoly increases price but that increase is insignificant.however, monopoly can really help in devolopment of new better products, hence monopoly is encorage on goods that are not basic needs."

now i tried to reason with her and say: "y would one make better product with decreased production cost or better performance/price if he has no compitition coz with no competition market will hav 2 buy watever the company provides." then i gave the example of insanely overpriced geforce 8 and the fact there was no new product for almost 2yrs coz ati had nothing to compite with.....and now when ati has given compitition, price are falling like anthing and we hav new products. then i also gave the example of how there is only one company who imports high end grafix card and cpus and hence they price them at almost 1.7times the original price.....
gues wat she did ....she gave me a C- in that corse

ma point: there is no point arguing on it coz its not a reasonable topic......and some ppl will neva get it,.....(i hav no idea y though)

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008

+1
sumthing that i have been tring to explain to my frnds for yrs now