Gigabyte DSL3 Ram issue

mrmez

Splendid
Building a new-ish PC for my sister.

New parts (that matter)
-Gigabyte GA-EP45-DSL3
-ATI 3450
-Coolermaster 460w psu

Old parts (all confirmed working on other systems)
-E4300
-4 sticks of 512Mb DDR2 533 (single sided)

System would not boot regardless of # of ram sticks or slots. Inserted a single stick of 1Gb Geil 800Mhz (from this pc), and it boots fine.

So i play around in bios turning everything down, timings, speed (except voltage) to try and get the 533Mhz going. No luck. The system just keeps on for a few seconds, then restarts.

Any ideas much appreciated.
Cheers.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Is the ram at 1.8v? It should be either 2.0 or 2.1v for stable conditions. I couldn't install windows when I first setup my ds3 since the system kept crashing. If you bump it to 2.1v even 2.2v you shouldn't be voiding the warranty or hurting the ram since it's supposed to run at that voltage. On my ddr2 800 sticks, i could underclock them to 533 and get it stable at 1.8v, but not at full 800mhz so try giving it more volts that should solve your issue.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Um, check the specs of your ram before you go cranking the voltages. They aren't all 2.1v. Matter of fact, only expensive overclocking ram is usually higher than 1.8v.

Turning up the knob on voltages is the only way you can DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER PARTS, so please know wtf youre doing before you adjust those.

The DS3L has alot of well known memory compatibility issues. Mine wouldn't work with Ballistix or Kingston Value Ram. I bought some OCZ reapers and it booted right up.