What pins should I connect to make my Seagate 7200.12 to run at 1,5 Gb

morfil

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
What pins should I connect with the JUMPER so that I make my Seagate 500 Gb/s S-ATA II 7200.12 Barracuda run at 1,5 Gb/s (my MB VIA VT8237 supports only 1,5 Gb/s) because on the Seagate web page the back configuration is from right to left and my HDD has a left to right configuration? And I am a bit confused about the jumper settings...

Link to the Seagate web page (from right to left):

http://www.seagate.com/images/support/en/us/cuda_sata_block.gif

This is the back configuration of my actual HDD: (from left to right)

1 = SATA Power Connecter

2 = SATA Interface Connecter

3 = Jumper Block

So how do I set the jumper?

Please help me!

morfil

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
I have finally set the jumper but BIOS and Windows still don't recognize the HDD.

So what should I do? Should I update the BIOS?

sub mesa

Distinguished
Normally you don't need to set a jumper, even if you connect a 3Gbps SATA HDD to a 1.5Gbps SATA motherboard; it should work.

However, because alot of companies have clueless engineers, they managed to break the backward compatiblity, causing the need for a jumper in some cases with bad SATA controllers.

Either way, you should make your BIOS detect the drive first, before trying to get it to work with Windows. If the BIOS detects your drive, you don't need a jumper. If the BIOS doesn't detect your drive, any change to windows will be in vain since it's a hardware issue. Make sure it's displayed in BIOS first!

Some general hints:
- is the drive spinning? do you feel it vibrating/spinning up at boot?
- are the voltages right?
- did you connect a SATA power cable directly from the power supply, or are you using a molex->sata power cable adapter?
- are you using high-quality cabling?
- does your BIOS support disks larger than 128GiB (48-bit LBA support)?

morfil

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
1. The HDD is working, I've tested it on an external HDD rack.

2. I guess so since everything else in my PC works fine [including my brothers HDD 160 GB S-ATA 1 HDD]

3. I have a power cable adaptor, to an old IDE power cable, which makes 2 power cables for S-ATA [1 is used by my brothers S-ATA 1 HDD and 1 is used by my HDD]

4. The cables are fine [I've never had any problems with any cable]

5. I guess it supports since my brothers HDD has 160 Gb and the BIOS recognizes it [at startup, in serial channel list 01 and 02 only my brothers HDD appears at 01 and at 02 is empty :( where mine was supposed to be..]

Hope this infor was useful...

morfil

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
And in Device Manager, at SCSI and RAID controllers I have a yellow question mark showing VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller and message THE DEVICE CANNOT START [code error 10] if this helps...

morfil

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
I've tried to update SATA drivers, I've tried Disk Manager from Seagate, jumper settings, and yet nothing works. I'm desperate. This HDD is the second one which doesn't work on my MB [last week I went to the pc shop and exchanged the first S-ATA 2 HDD Samsung with this one] Now, what I'm gonna do?

sub mesa

Distinguished
RAID controller? You did not mention you were running a RAID. You should connect a SATA HDD to a SATA controller. If your onboard controller is configured in RAID mode, you need to create a RAID array first, RAID arrays can consist of a single disk sometimes called "JBOD" or "Passthrough" mode.

And a yellow question mark is a problem indiction, double click it to read the error message. Again, if you are using plain disks, you should not use RAID.

morfil

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
I don't know what's a RAID. All I know is when my brother bought his S-ATA 1 HDD he installed Windows XP SP2 on it [the 1 Win XP was on the 80 Gb ATA drive] so when I installed it I typed F6 in Setup to install windows on a S-ATA HDD [i made a diskette with the necessary files] loaded from the MB installation disk]. I dunno what's a RAID or anything like that... Maybe the PC created a RAID controller when I typed F6 and when I installed Windows XP SP2 on my brother's S-ATA 1 HDD...

And if it's a RAID what should i do???? How do I make them plain disks? I must install windows with F6 on my HDD too???

morfil

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Now, I removed my HDD and the yellow question mark disappeared from Device Manager SCSI and RAID controllers / VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller.

And yes I want to use my HDD and my brother's HDD as plain disks [personal data storage without Windows installed on them cuz I have my OS on the 80 Gb ATA HDD] [so no RAID or I dunno what kind of weird configurations :(]

sub mesa

Distinguished
Reinstall windows without pressing F6, that's needed for RAID arrays.

Enter your BIOS and disable RAID support, if you don't know what it is you shouldn't be using it. The problem is you're using RAID while you do not want to, so disable RAID support and reinstall the OS. You will lose all data on the harddrive(s).

In your BIOS you should be able to find something like "Serial ATA transfer mode" with settings like "RAID" "AHCI" and "IDE". Pick IDE if you're using ancient operating systems like Windows XP or MS-DOS, and pick AHCI for modern operating systems starting with Vista.

morfil

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
I told you that my BIOS is very simple and I can't change many things except BOOT section :(

Even if I install Windows XP SP2 again, the Windows setup recognizes only the 80 GB ATA HDD [thats why I pressed F6 so may brother can install Windows on his S-ATA 1 HDD - but now he is using Linux Ubuntu if this matters somehow] So the info on HDD can't be deleted because the Windows Setup doesn't recognize other HDD in Setup except ATA HDD]

But if I reinstall Windows on the 80 Gb ATA HDD, my S-ATA 2 HDD would be recognized after installation?

And if I install Windows without the 2 S-ATA HDDs inside my pc, will Windows recognize them when I connect them later after installation?

Should I install Windows XP SP2 with or without the 2 S-ATA HDDs inside my PC?

sub mesa

Distinguished
Your SATA is not recognised because your SATA controller is running in RAID mode. You need to let your SATA controller run in SATA mode.

Some very crappy controllers only allow to operate in RAID mode; and are extremely bad quality. Your controller might fall into this category. In this case, do not use the controller but buy a new add-on SATA controller with PCI-express.

Just looked up your motherboard, it doesn't have PCI-express. Basically your motherboard just sucks, that's why you have this problem. If you would buy a new one it would solve your problems, but you'd also need a new CPU, memory and graphics card if you're a gamer.

If you don't want to do this, you can try creating a RAID array for your new SATA disk, but as you don't understand RAID i strongly recommend you just update your system if you got the money for it. A system with AGP and a crappy VIA chipset is very old and it probably won't be the last problem you'll have with this motherboard.

morfil

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Well, all I was able to find interesting and useful in BIOS was at BOOT section where I have this:

VIA SATA RAID UTILITY [Enable]

Should I disable it?

morfil

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
And less useful was ADVANCED section and subcategory SUPER I/O CONFIGURATION:

SERIAL PORT ADDRESS [3F8/IRQ4]

INFRARED PORT [Disable]

PARALLEL PORT [378]

Are these infos helpful or I just should give up and sell the S-ATA 2 HDD?

morfil

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
And can you give me a link to learn about RAID and make one for my PC? Because it seems this is my last option :(

sub mesa

Distinguished
So do your SATA HDDs get detected if you disable the "VIA SATA RAID utility" option? Could be that it just disables notification about RAID but still operates in RAID mode, some chips can only operate in RAID mode which sucks.

But even if it works, isn't the system ready for an upgrade? As said, the motherboard and generally the whole system is quite outdated and perhaps you should just buy a (cheap) new system. That's what i would do in your place. :)

TRENDING THREADS