Sign in with
Your question

ATI OR NVIDIA

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 14, 2008 5:54:24 AM

HI there I'm new to this forum and would like to ask a question

I've just bought a xeon quad core cpu with a supermicro mother board with about 5Gb of ram but not sure what graphics card to buy Nvidia or ATI Radeon, I do a lot of 3d work and video editing and I'm not sure weather to go for HD 4870 or GTX260 any recommendations would be a great help.

More about : ati nvidia

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 14, 2008 6:03:08 AM

Well it's very app dependant, but I'd say that in general the HD4870 would be the better choice for what you're asking.

However there are some apps that would be preferential to one or the other so be sure you check into the predific tools you'll be using.

There's hasn't been much testing of workstation apps on these cards yet (mainly since there is no Quadro and FireGL equivalent yet), but I would hazard a guess that without optimized drivers the HD4870 would outperform the GTS260 just scaling off of the previous generations' performance.
Related resources
July 14, 2008 6:54:25 AM

Thank you for the fast reply, I know about the Quadro and FireGL series and that they would have been the better choice out of the two but they are way out of my price range if you know what I mean. Looks like i'll be going for the HD4870 then, I did do some research before posting here and found the HD4870 to be the better choice but I just had to ask personally to confirm it.
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2008 8:28:53 AM

shinsan said:
Thank you for the fast reply, I know about the Quadro and FireGL series and that they would have been the better choice out of the two but they are way out of my price range if you know what I mean. Looks like i'll be going for the HD4870 then, I did do some research before posting here and found the HD4870 to be the better choice but I just had to ask personally to confirm it.

you can soft mod atleast the Nvidia cards into Quadro cards btw
July 14, 2008 10:58:43 AM

I would have said NVIDIA in the past, considering how slacking they got after their 8800 series, I would say ATI for now. At least ATI is doing pretty good lately.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 14, 2008 4:18:14 PM

apache_lives said:
you can soft mod atleast the Nvidia cards into Quadro cards btw

Can you softMod the GTX series yet?

I didn't think they had support yet, since like the FireGL SoftMod you need an equivalent workstation card to Softmod to before it works.
July 16, 2008 6:17:41 AM

The Quadro Fx is very expensive, I would like to buy one but are they specifically for 3d Design and work or for both gaming and 3d work
AND WHY IS IT THAT FireGL V5600 IS A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN ATI RADEON HD4870 AND THE SPECS ON THE HD4870 ARE HIGHER

ATI RADEON HD4870
PCI Express x16 (2.0%u5BFE%u5FDC)
512MB
256bit
GDDR5
750MHz / 3600MHz
DVI-I x2
HDTV
FAN
DVI to HDMI
CrossFireX
HDCP

FireGL V5600
PCI Express x16
512MB
128bit
GDDR4
DVI-I x2
FAN
DVI to D-Sub

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 16, 2008 7:20:43 AM

It's the cost of driver and hardware certification and the customer support that comes with the cards.

It's like buying an Audi versus an VW, or the old ford Aston/Jaguar, may have similar underlying features but the support levels, quality control, etc. are different and you pay for it.

UWE covers it briefly in this review;
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/opengl-workstation-...
!