Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ITunes Crash = Failed RAID 0 Volume -- Now what?

Last response: in Storage
October 25, 2009 4:23:53 PM

Hello all.
I have a failed RAID 0 volume and I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction to restore it.

Setup:
Two 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 configured RAID 0
ASUS P5B Deluxe MB with Intel ICH8R

Background:
My computer froze while restoring my iPhone. After resetting the computer, the Intel Matrix Storage Manager reported that the RAID 0 volume Failed. I installed Windows XP on a spare HDD and installed several RAID restoration programs to no avail. I tried running the RAID restoration programs while Windows XP was running under AHCI and RAID.

Please see the attached screenshots for more information on my problems.

It looks like this guy had the same problem as me and got it fixed, but I'm not totally sure what he did.

I also read and re-read http://spench.net/drupal/resources/raid0 (How to recover a RAID 0 disk array after losing the array’s metadata), but I'm not really sure what to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my data back?

Thank you for any help.

Richard

More about : itunes crash failed raid volume

a b G Storage
October 26, 2009 11:41:28 AM

Do you have a backup?
Backups are important.
RAID0 cannot be recovered normally, because it is spanned amongst 2 drives.

m
l
October 26, 2009 11:52:49 AM

evongugg said:
Do you have a backup?
Backups are important.
RAID0 cannot be recovered normally, because it is spanned amongst 2 drives.

I do have a backup, but it's a few months old and I need some of the new data on the drives. I realize that it can't be recovered normally, but it appears that some people on the internet have been successful in restoring their RAID 0 volume. I'm hoping that they're reading this forum and can offer me some advice.
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
October 26, 2009 3:16:22 PM

Your stripe size is 128KiB but in the RAID reconstructor you set it as 8KiB which is wrong. So correct this and try again? Have no experience with windows-based RAID recovery apps tho, but you should be able to get your data back; at least under linux/BSD.
m
l
October 26, 2009 11:52:27 PM

sub mesa said:
Your stripe size is 128KiB but in the RAID reconstructor you set it as 8KiB which is wrong. So correct this and try again? Have no experience with windows-based RAID recovery apps tho, but you should be able to get your data back; at least under linux/BSD.

RAID Reconstructor currently sees one of the individual hard drives ("2nd hard drive 466 GB") and the failed RAID 0 volume ("1st hard drive 932 GB"). Does that mean that I should delete the RAID 0 volume so it will see each of the individual hard drives? Should I delete the RAID volume or reset the disks to non-RAID? Should I (or can I) back anything up before I delete/reset the RAID? What do I do after I delete/reset the RAID?
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
October 27, 2009 3:25:40 AM

Do not delete anything! Do not change/write/alter any byte on either drive. Perform everything as read only, writing to the devices may cause you to loose data.

Instead, try to connect both to another SATA controller which does not support RAID or have RAID disabled. Performing this on another computer is also an option. The onboard SATA connectors are usually fine to do this, just make sure you disable all RAID so the disks are connected to a plain SATA controller; then RAID reconstructor should be able to see both disks.

FYI you should be able to get your data back, all of it.
m
l
October 27, 2009 10:54:34 AM

sub mesa said:
Do not delete anything! Do not change/write/alter any byte on either drive. Perform everything as read only, writing to the devices may cause you to loose data.

Instead, try to connect both to another SATA controller which does not support RAID or have RAID disabled. Performing this on another computer is also an option. The onboard SATA connectors are usually fine to do this, just make sure you disable all RAID so the disks are connected to a plain SATA controller; then RAID reconstructor should be able to see both disks.

FYI you should be able to get your data back, all of it.

Thanks for your help.

I was running in AHCI when I took the RAID Reconstructor screenshot. It still showed the RAID 0 volume and the non-member disk.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 27, 2009 12:06:58 PM

Your data is lost. Restore from the latest backup you have and start from there. Its rare to almost none where in a RAID0 is recovered after a fail. RAID0 are in stripe configuration. Meaning the data is split between the two drives to make one. The software can't recover the data unless both are recognized as part of RAID0.

Move on...

Acronis DRIVE IMAGE is a good backup tool. Thats what i have and my drives are configured RAID0. My computer is programmed to create a backup file everyweek at 2:00AM on night of the week that i don't use the PC.

To save drive space i delete backup that is not important. In that way yuo are current up to a week.

Get Terabyte or 1.5 TB drives and use it as immediate repository for your backup file. In that way when RAID's fail you have easy access for your backup file. Use that as your DATA drive as well.

Save your backup files on BLUE-RAY DISC. This is a very good storage for backup file in case all your drives fail.

Make separate backup file for DATA drive and Drive C:

There is a DRIVE/RAID forums in this site. You can check if somebody were succesful in recovering data from a RAID0.

Other RAID formats are better but you need to add more drives.

Some notes on RAID0 FAIL:

1) Bad Drive or intermitten drive. Its a good practice to check ALL the location of the drive before plugging it in especially for DRIVE0. Use manufacturer utility tool to check your drive. Intermiittent or questionable sectors on a drive can cause a RAID0 Fail and it happen in random.

2) As a good measure I limit RAID0 Partition to 500GByte for C:\. The rest of the availabe space i configure as another RAID0 Drive.
- It lessen the probability of exposure to questionable sector specially on big drives.
- The backup file (i.e. C:\) is smaller or what you can say manageable size.

To better manage your drive you can use Acronis Disk Director.

Sometimes these softwares are placed on sale in computer stores such as Fry's. I got mine both for $9.00 each after rebate.

m
l
a c 127 G Storage
October 27, 2009 4:03:04 PM

leon2006: what you say isn't true, why are you scaring him? All that is lost is 512 bytes of meta-data configuration. All the data is still on his disks; neither drive did fail.

100% data recovery is possible, and ive done it so many times under Linux/BSD.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 27, 2009 4:49:54 PM

sub meas: Walk him through it ...Its good that you have done it. Good Luck
m
l

Best solution

a c 127 G Storage
October 27, 2009 4:54:53 PM

Already gave advice:

1) connect both disks to non-RAID controller
2) try RAID reconstructor again and set 128KiB as stripesize
3) should be able to recover

If that doesn't work, i can do it for him if he provides me with an SSH login in a BSD environment, where i can apply software raid using geom_stripe driver and mount the NTFS volume using ntfs-3g, and he can retrieve the files from the network using SMB/CIFS via the Samba package.

The second option is significantly more work, but has the most chance for success. First he should try if the first option using RAID reconstructor works.
October 28, 2009 1:50:58 AM

sub mesa said:
Already gave advice:

1) connect both disks to non-RAID controller
2) try RAID reconstructor again and set 128KiB as stripesize
3) should be able to recover

If that doesn't work, i can do it for him if he provides me with an SSH login in a BSD environment, where i can apply software raid using geom_stripe driver and mount the NTFS volume using ntfs-3g, and he can retrieve the files from the network using SMB/CIFS via the Samba package.

The second option is significantly more work, but has the most chance for success. First he should try if the first option using RAID reconstructor works.

Awesome. I think I'm finally making progress. Here are the steps I took:

1. Set the controller to IDE and booted up Windows.
2. Ran RAID Reconstructor on the two disks. It didn't work in automatic mode; I had to add more sectors and stripe sizes to the analyzer then it finally gave me a RAID configuration.
3. I'm now writing the compressed image onto my new 1TB drive.

What do I do after the image is written?

Thank you SO MUCH!
Richard
m
l
!