A question about temperatures - Core i7

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
June 16, 2009 11:26:25 PM

Hi everyone,

First off I'd like to thank everyone who helped me with this (my first) build. It went flawlessly (except for a defective power LED on the case).

Before I get to the temperatures, the relevant specs are as follows:

-Core i7 920 (stock speeds...for now)
-Asus P6T-SE
-Cooling: Xigmatec S1283V Dark Knight
-Case: Antec Sonata Designer w/ stock Earthwatts 500 PSU
-Galaxy 8800GT
-Antec Tri-cool 120mm rear exhaust fan (set to low)
-Scyth Flex 92mm frontal intake fan

The CPU (Tjunction) idle's at about 40C (ambient 22C), and with Prime95 peaks at nearly 80C. TCase idles at around 32C and peaks at 69C. I'm happy with the idle temps, but those temps under load have me a bit concerned. I plan on a conservative overclock (3.33) sometime in the future and I'm worried that I may not have the overhead to do it.

This was the first time I've mounted a cooler on a CPU and I'm wondering if I did it wrong. I used a drop of thermal paste (that included with the S1283V) a little smaller than a pea and spread it evenly across the CPU using a credit card, until the layer was thin enough that I could almost make out the writing on top of the CPU. Should I have used more paste?

So what do you think? Are those temperatures normal? Are my overclocking plans still a go?

Thanks for the help,
Kanati

More about : question temperatures core

June 16, 2009 11:32:34 PM

Forgot to mention...

My chip is of the older C0 variety
June 17, 2009 5:12:33 AM

I assume your vcore is set to 1.20 to match stock BCLK? if its on auto best to set it to 1.20. I dont know much about your particular cooler but any aftermarket cooler should be less than 80 degrees providing your voltages and BCLK are at stock settings, id imagine even the standard intel one should do better than that at those settings. If it was me a would try reseating the cooler and reapplying thermal paste, once you have removed the cooler check the imprint left by the paste to see if its making good/even contact.

sorry I cant really offer much else hopefully some one with more knowledge can shed some more light on this. But dont worry your deffinately not alone in having i7 temp problems just look at the amount of threads on this.
Related resources
June 17, 2009 8:26:40 PM

According to CPU-Z the Vcore is set to 1.040V at idle and jumps to 1.216V when running prime95. I haven't adjusted any hardware settings yet, so presumably these are the defaults. Also, I noticed that the clock speed jumped to 2.806Ghz during prime95. Doesn't the 920 top out at 2.66 at stock? Is my motherboard doing some kind of auto overclocking?
June 17, 2009 9:07:21 PM

hmm im not quite sure then as theoritically your temps should be lower, The reason why you are getting 2.8 is because turbo mode is on (think its turbo mode) and under full load it will raise your multi to x21 to give you a bit of a boost. I have personally disabled it so as not to have any suprises at higher clock speeds when stress testing. Also you can now set your multi to x21 anyway.
June 18, 2009 1:01:47 AM

Kanati

Your temps are pretty much exactly where mine are. I'm using a Gigabyte UD4P and stock heatsink with stock thermal paste.

I'll some day OC and use some Silver5 thermal paste to get the temps down - but for now - Everything works find - and I never fully use one core - let alone all 4 to make temp an issue.

!