Sign in with
Your question

Asus P5Q SE/R

Last response: in Motherboards
September 10, 2008 7:16:14 PM

Hello,

I'm getting parts together for an HTPC build, which incidentally will be my first PC build. My main criteria is stability, followed by value. I am not going to OC.
I'm looking at the Asus P5Q SE/R, in large part because the size (12" x 7.6") suits the case (Silverstone LC10b) I've picked up. It's also cheaper than the other P45 boards.
Unfortunately, reviews of this board seem to be nonexistent on the web. If anyone can give me some input, namely pluses and minuses vs. the Asus P5Q Pro and P5Q-E, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Capt. A

More about : asus p5q

September 10, 2008 7:46:03 PM

I've got a P5Q-E. It shipped with the original 605 BIOS and there's been about 6 new ones released since then. I used memory that was on its qualified vendor list and an e8500. I disabled ExpressGate in the BIOS. Don't install anything from the disc except the motherboard drivers. Or you may look on Asus' website for the latest LAN/Chipset/Sound drivers, etc. I actually had a problem installing the chipset drivers on the CD so I used the version on the website.
September 10, 2008 8:51:45 PM

Well Catp'n all these boards need air to cool them, and that case looks like it will be a bit noisy with the small fans on the back of the case. It's hard to see where the air is gona come from for the 8cm fan in the front, hopefully there is an opening on the bottom of the case that allows air into it.
The P45/48 boards are supposed to run cooler than the similar P35/38 ones,
so you have that in your favor.
Until you have a problem with them, Asus seems to be fine. Personally I don't like them, as I am currently in RMA hell with them over a board that they just can't seem to get right.
For an HTPC I would look for a board that does not make a lot of heat.
It's hard to give + & - 's when your personal criteria are unknown.
Wow after qwertycopters experience, I would look at another another board.
Related resources
September 10, 2008 9:11:04 PM

I've had a couple Asus boards over the years. Never had any problems with them. They are generally considered to be a good quality motherboard manufacturuer. I just had an XFX 680i LT SLI board die on me, and have just sent it off for RMA.

Depending on how things go with XFX, I was looking at that P5Q-E board myself.
September 11, 2008 5:01:47 AM

My interest in the P5Q SE/R actually has to do with the cooling solution I have in mind. This board is 2" shorter than most ATX boards. Pending measurement, I intend to take a hole saw to the case and install a 120mm fan in the roof over the mobo, and a 120mm in the floor at the front of the case. Hence wanting the 7" mobo instead of the 9". The 60mm and 80mm fans won't be used.
Still, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any major differences between the P5Q SE/R and the P5Q Pro.

Thanks,
Capt. A
September 11, 2008 1:08:01 PM

bobbknight said:
Wow after qwertycopters experience, I would look at another another board.

Well I wrote that in a hurry and it came out wrong. Actually the P5Q-E has been a good board. What I meant to say is that I had no problems with the original BIOS. There have been numerous BIOS updates to add support for additional memory, etc. I chose memory on the QVL from the start, so I had no compatibility problems. If you get one of these new P45 boards and have problems, keep in mind that the BIOSes are still immature and the manufacturers are releasing new versions all the time.

As for the bundled software.. it's bulky and bothersome. Express Gate actually requires you to run a 100MB+ installer on the hard drive, so it's not quite what I had in mind when I heard about it, so I disabled it. This actually decreased my boot time which is great (and ironic). The other software, like PC Probe... not all that great. But it's no problem, just don't install it.

Other than that the board has worked great. I love the SATA/eSATA options. I really like the included power/reset buttons included on motherboard. The board's layout is good as well. A long graphics card will block one of the SATA ports, but there are 7 more plus an eSATA port in the back.

There may be clearance problems with certain CPU coolers, however. The northbridge heatsink is tall and close to the 775 socket. I'm not overclocking so I used the stock cooler. In the BIOS there are tons (perhaps too many) options for overclocking... but the manual goes over them really in depth.
October 12, 2009 9:33:08 AM

I bought a P5Q SE and it's been bloody brilliant installed an E7300 @ 2.66 increased its FSB to 330 Mhz and increased the Vcore voltage to 1.45 and it's running nice and cool and totally stable at 3.30 Ghz with the cheap memory runing @ 827 Mhz. Excellent Board. doesn't get to hot at all compared to most boards i've had.

The highest temp the cpu hits is 45 and the mobo hits 37 on average and thats running vista and playing GTA IV.

Dont be put off overclocking it's easy on this board and if you go to far the smart bios will just restore the default value's for you and you can always just reset the cmos if you get stuck but you will not be able to physically damage it through just altering the settings.

I'm using the stock Intel cooler for the cpu although i do have one 80mm fan on the rear one in the side panel over the mobo and 2 in the front to keep the HD's cool.

Steve Winter.
!