Sign in with
Your question

Nehalem, Q9550 or Dual Core, which one, suggestions.

Last response: in CPUs
August 15, 2008 10:20:40 AM

Hi,

I was hoping anyone could give some suggestions/advice to allow me to make a decision on my new setup.

I currently own a bog standard Celeron PC. Which is very slow to say the least.

I am wanting to upgrade my system for work alongside to play a few games, watch hidef movies, and for things like video editing of Blu-rays.

My main aim for some time was to buy a full Nehalem system, but it seems as if it will be November before stores in England will sell these parts. As I am assuming the October release will likely just be for the US and we usually get things around a month after the US do.

Furthermore I would rather not have to buy full ATX motherboard as I considerably prefer mATX, and the X58 motherboard will be of a high premium, as will the 4gig DDR3 memory.

So I have either 3 options which I am not sure about. I already have a case, Hard Drive, DVD Drive and high quality PSU

1. Try and wait now with my Celeron (if I can hold out) until October/November and spend a fortune on 4Gig DDR3, X58, ATI 4850 and 2.66 Ghz Nehalem.

Or

2. Wait until the DFI mATX P45 motherboard comes out (which will likely be mid September in Europe anyway which would be knocking on the Nehalem launch anyway) then buy an E0 stepping Q9550, 4 Gig DDR2, ATI 4850, mATX P45.

Or my final option

3. As a temporary measure just buy a cheap as chips system now consisting of AMD 4850e Dual Core, Nvidia Geforce 8300 mATX and 4 Gig DDR2.

Then use this and wait until the mATX Nehalem boards are out in March/April 2009, and I suspect the DDR3 would be considerably cheaper and upgrade from this to a Nehalem then.

I can buy all the above in option 3 for £150. The Yorkfield setup would likely set my back £500 and the Nehalem X58 setup slightly more again.

If I decide to buy a temporary measure system now I will want it to be the cheapest system possible to fit my needs and I am guessing the AMD fits my needs.

I will be wanting to play GTA4 on the PC when its released in November, and I am guessing the AMD dual core would have enough grunt to manage this. And I will be wanting it for hidef.

So what would people suggest of the three options.

Thanks
August 15, 2008 10:36:09 AM

According to benchmark Nehalen at 2.66GHZ is faster than the fastest C2Quad right now, and that was just a sample unit of Nehalem.

You better wait for Nehalem, since it's using new socket. If you use C2Quad now, you cant upgrade to Nehalem cause of diff socket, u can just trow away the Mobo.

if u wait for Nehalem, u can always upgrade to 6 or even 8-core Nehalem in the future.
August 15, 2008 10:37:01 AM

How adement are you in getting a Nehalem setup? Personally I wouldn't consider updating to Nehalem until the 8 core variety comes out and the X58 has been exised of all it's demons, as all new technology needs to be. I actually think the Q9450 plus a couple 4870's would be ideal along with the good parts you already own, that way you can get past the initial high price tag and problems and look at the situation again when the 8 core comes out, maybe even look at 2x8 cores depending on what the software industry has for us then. All the mean time having a great machine you'll love using every single day.
Related resources
August 15, 2008 12:10:37 PM

Just buy a cheap temporary computer until they iron out Nehalem and X58 architecture.
a c 132 à CPUs
August 15, 2008 1:05:10 PM

Option #3 will be cheapest in the long run, and you'll still end up with Nehalem.
I'd choose Option 3a. The "a" is I'd also get a decent GPU like a 4850 which could move to the new system later, and I'd probably choose a CPU a little higher up in the [AMD] pecking order, maybe a 5400+.
August 18, 2008 6:41:46 AM

Vertigon said:
How adement are you in getting a Nehalem setup? Personally I wouldn't consider updating to Nehalem until the 8 core variety comes out and the X58 has been exised of all it's demons, as all new technology needs to be. I actually think the Q9450 plus a couple 4870's would be ideal along with the good parts you already own, that way you can get past the initial high price tag and problems and look at the situation again when the 8 core comes out, maybe even look at 2x8 cores depending on what the software industry has for us then. All the mean time having a great machine you'll love using every single day.

I was also thinking of waiting to upgrade until Nehalem is available. But I figured to let it come out and wait for prices to go down and see how it matures. I'm thinking for now to either go to a E8600 or Q9550 (or Q9600 when the price goes below $500) and get a 4870. I hear that a 1GB version of the 4870 is in the works.
August 18, 2008 8:25:47 AM

the nehalem processors arent going to be cheap.
the high end 3.0ghz is 1000$ if you buy 1000 at a time...imagine how much we will pay
atom costs 8$ max to make, we get em for around 45$
a b à CPUs
August 18, 2008 8:59:08 AM

The 1000 lot cost tends not to be far off of what places like Newegg charge, and it is well above what it actually costs Intel to make them, so the 3.2GHz model is likely to actually cost around $1k on newegg. The low end model (2.66GHz) is $284. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.
August 18, 2008 11:50:24 AM

"But I figured to let it come out and wait for prices to go down and see how it matures."

Thats the way to go. I personally think a Q9550 on a X48 board is a great deal and if you want to spend some money 2x4870's will really bump up the frame rates on a big monitor. For me personally who owns an overclocked quad, i won't even think of upgrading until I see an 8 core unit and windows 7 has it's first service pack release. This machine I have now is great, so the next move might be 2x8 core Nehalems, time will tell.
!