Regulated fan starts at full speed

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Hello fine people!

I have for the first time a regulated fan (on a GeForce 9600gso, my previous one was a Radeon 9600xt) and it is very quiet because my games (Ski Challenge 2009 is the heaviest one) don't load this card significantly. Nice.

But when I start the computer, the fan rotates at full speed for a few seconds, supposedly until the first measurement of the Gpu's temperature. Its noise bothers me.

So is there an option, an adjustment, something I can change so that the fan rotates slowly at power up?

Thank you!

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I've not investigated up to now if it's possible - just hoping someone has already done it for me...

Designers at nVidia may consider it useful to first check the fan at full throttle to rely on it if needed later, in which case they wouldn't provide a workaround.

Yes it's normal, but it does bother me, for instance if I start the computer at night with people sleeping in neighbour rooms. I already disconnect all beepers, have quiet disks and Cpu, and now this fan is really noisy at every bootup.

On my nVidia 900gso, the fan only runs at full throttle for a few seconds, so it isn't related to the driver. This is well within Bios time, clearly before Win begins booting.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
It's how it works. You just live with it. You could buy aftermarket cooling for the card and run a silent 120mm fan instead of that tiny loud one. But it's a weak card and not worth putting any aftermarket money into it.

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Live with it...? I hope there is some delicate and tactful method, possibly by a software option somewhere.

But if not, I can put a resistor in series with the fan. It would make the regulation go crazy and prevent from full power cooling as well, but I don't care as I don't load this card significantly.

Or I throttle all clocks down and mill a passive sink for the card.

Even better, I remove the top plate and the fan and keep the sink, which will then be a passive one. Reducing Ram and Gpu clocks to 1/4, maybe it runs.

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Solved it. I replaced the XFX GF9600GSO by a Gigabyte GF8600GT.

This one has passive cooling and is fast enough for Ski Challenge and Life For Speed.

Its heatsink is hot to the finger feeling but as the Gpu accepts +115°C before warning, it must be happy that way.

gerbile3

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

I do not believe people like you deserve nice things. Buying a whole new card for 5 seconds of peace is just absolutly stupid.

Besides, If my computer was sounding like a F**king jet taking off i wouldn't care. If it can play games I'm happy.