Copied the data and now it had vanished

Gmackey222

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Hey guys,

It has been a few years since I have been on the boards and so I had to create a new login because I forgot my info.

Anyways I used to have a 250 gig drive in my computer and recently gave it to my old wrestling coach because he was running on a 20 gig that was dying and a 40 gig. Needless to say he didn't have much space left. I also got myself a new 750 gig to replace mine. So I had taken it over to his house installed it and transfer all my data to the 750 before formating it. I just used drag and drop because it was mostly audio and video.

Once I put it back in my computer, everything is recognized driver wise, yet it didn't show up as a drive. When I go to disk management in Windows 7, it looks like it is unformatted. I did with NTFS so I am completely confused as to how this could have happened. I'm afraid to do much with it because I know somewhere my 220 gigs is sitting on the drive, but I don't know how to get to it. With most computer issues I'll just experiment until I fix it, but I feel like that is too risky.

I hope someone has some ideas for me. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Geoffrey Mackey

Gmackey222

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
I apologize, I actually meant that I formatted the 250 gig drive once I had copied all the necessary data. After re-reading my post I see that I was not clear about that. After copying the data, I did not re-format the 750 gig drive. Still, I have a feeling recovery software may be my only way out. I'm still open to suggestions however.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Before you go into data recovery, check one detail in Disk Manager. In the lower right pane where your 750 GB unit is shown, does it have a letter name already? Sometimes when you mount a drive that already has Partitions that have been Formatted, Windows still has trouble figuring out what name to use for it; without a letter name, Windows cannot handle the disk. So, IF there is no name assigned to it, RIGHT-click on the block representing your actual Partition containing the data, and Change (or create) a letter name for it - just use a letter not already in use. Exit out of Disk Manager and reboot to see if it now shows up in My Computer.

While you're in Disk Manager, check a few details. Does the big block representing your drive actually show sub-blocks that are recognized Partition(s), and are they actually Formatted as NTFS File system volumes?