Can overheating cause this

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
1. Can overheating change the way a game is played? For example, in cs my recoil pattern is incredibly fkd up, gun shoots slow, bulletholes arent displaying in the right places. In other games, my hitboxes seem to be off, and people seem harder than normal to hit than usual.

2. I got a ga-945p-s3 motherboard with e6300 no overclock. Idle temp is 44-46c with my arctic cooler pro and it used be even higher with my stock cooler. Ive tried remounting a few times and its always this high.. is this normal? Ive read that core2duo users average on the 20c's with STOCK cooler. Its not bad airflow or fan either. I have my case open on the side and i have a BIG ass fan (the size of my pc) blowing into the side of it.

3. If i were to replace a piece of hardware, which one would it be? I dont think its the coolers... should i replace the mobo? processor? On a further note, my video card does overheat ALOT 57c-65 (used to be 70-100 without my fan)... can a mobo be causing my video card to overheat or are they totally separate isolated situations?

ga-945p-s3 motherboard
e6300 (lga 775) @ 1.88 ghz non-overclocked
PNY 7600gs 512mb PCI-E
artic cooler pro
1GB corsair ram

1. Yes, if the overheating is causing your CPU to throttle back.

2. Download RealTemp and run it while you play, then report the max temp that it lists for each core. When you "remounted" the cooler did you clean off the old thermal paste and apply new?

3. You need to figure out what your temp problems are before you think about upgrading. You need to tell us what all your parts ARE first.

57-65c is not too hot for a GPU, depending on what it is of course.

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007

Ah sorry, here
ga-945p-s3 motherboard
e6300 (lga 775) @ 1.88 ghz non-overclocked
PNY 7600gs 512mb PCI-E
artic cooler pro
1GB corsair ram

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
OH LOL i thought u wanted my specs thats all. When i remounted i think i did wipe it off.. but can it make that big of a difference? lol.. im looking for a target of 20-30c and im getting near 50 on IDLE..

I will remount it again, wipe thermal paste with some alcohol and put some Artic silver on it.

As for the RealTemp... ill post back results.

PS: how the heck do u run realtemp? The website is down and i got it off a mirror .. where do i put the ia32 files?

It should just come in a zip file, with a folder to unzip and then you just run it from the .exe as i recall, I'll check when I can later.

Yep, a stray hair or random bug stuck in your grease can mess everything up.

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
ok i got a new version and its working now.. ill post results after gaming (it isnt different from coretemp results by much)

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Minimum : 45/43
Average: 55/52
Maximum: 63/59

Thats only playing wc3, which isnt that heavy on my pc.. imagine playing a demanding game.. Now obviously something is wrong here. What is it? My mobo? Processor? Heatsink? When i touch my heatsink... it isnt VERY hot.. granted is it warm but its not HOT... i believe heatsinks should be really hot and absorbing the heat correct? Wtf is going on..

I tried remounting it just today and cleaning dust / adding new thermal paste

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
I tried using my stock HS and it idles at 55/52...... def something wrong. Im hearing people with my same specs idling at 20's and going to never going past 45 on load. Ugh?? Bad cpu?

TBH i think its the overhetaing thats causing this. When my temps were cool at first bootup... game was so smooth... as the game went on i could see some jerking and choppyness come slowly... why is my cpu so hot?...

You might be having some CPU or MB issue... I suppose it could be your PSU as well. None of that would be common however.

Are you confident you applied thermal grease in the correct manner and at the correct amount?

Your Arctic cooler pro came with TIM pre-applied. If you happened to add more on top of that, it would be bad.

If your CPU had a dent in the top, that would be bad... likewise the base of the cooler.

Poor voltage regulation at the PSU or MB could cause the problem...

Or it's possible that your MB never recognized your CPU properly and is trying to run it with incorrect settings.

Here is a link to your motherboard BIOS updates:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2475

Carefully read everything and realize that if you update a BIOS it's always a gamble.

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
My bios is already flashed to the most current one F6

I have a temporary solution for now... all i have to do is keep it under 60c.. when it goes over 60c games start dying out as far as i notice. CTRL+ALT+TAB -> low priority + core1 only. Core0 seems to be 3-4 higher than core1... as long as i use core1 only and low priority it seem to be maxing out at 54.

This is no complete solution tho... What would you recommend i do? Im willing to spend money and put effort in trying things... where do i start? Ive already tried everything you recommended

Is your MB a newer one that supports Wolfdales? I notice there are different revisions.

Your best upgrade options are:

1. RAM
2. GPU
3. CPU

In that order, based only on what parts you have and what would give the best boost.

You know, 60c seems a bit low for the throttle, but then I don't know much about that CPU really. If your board supports it, a CPU upgrade might help.

At least, if you bought a better CPU and it didn't resolve the issue, you would not be losing anything. E7200 or E8400 would be logical upgrades.

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Why not mobo or psu? Im not looking to boost performance.. i just want my performance to be NORMAL. Id rather play on a Pentium3 right now. Maybe i should email intel and get a replacement on my e6300

If you were to get a program like SpeedFan and monitor your VCore for a bit, that might help.

I did a little reading and it's completely logical that your CPU is throttling back at 60c. That is correct for that CPU.

If VCore was in a normal range, under 1.5V, and stayed there, you could clearly point to the CPU as the culprit.

If not.... it would still be up in the air.

That's about the best I can do.

Start a new thread and ask why your CPU is running so hot. Perhaps someone has some BIOS settings you could try. I'm not familiar with your board enough to guess what those might be.

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Im a little bit confused on what im supposed to be looking at or what changes to pay attention

heres what i got on my screen with speedfan

"If VCore was in a normal range, under 1.5V, and stayed there, you could clearly point to the CPU as the culprit". That didnt make sense.. you mean in an ABNORMAL range?
what exactly do i watch for?

I meant if your VCore was under 1.5, where it should be, then the heat would be all due to a bad CPU.

However, it looks as if your board is feeding your CPU way too much juice.

What are the CPU settings in your BIOS? look for a CPU over voltage setting, or maybe it's called VCore.... I'll look up your manual.

Because:

1. Your CPU is not receiving a lot of voltage erroneously. If it were receiving too much, it would cause it to overheat.

2. You seem to be running at the correct frequency, so I can't say you are accidentally overclocked.

3. You seem to have installed your coolers correctly.

So, I can see no other reason for such a hot CPU except some internal defect.

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Ill try emailing intel for a replacement on my e6300... if i still get problems with the new replacement... then i guess its something else

Ill probably switch to amd, ive always had great gaming experiences with amd.