Need to replace a harddrive

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i have a 1.5tb Seagate barracuda 32mb cache 7200rpm (im reading the box don't know more exact than that)

i bought it because my old hard drive windows went kaput, and i NEEDED to get that working again right away. i went to best buy, and that was the best thing i saw. and it was also cheaper than others like it.

it worked fine for a while but than it went to hell.

harddrivething.jpg

im assuming that its got a bit of fight left in it, but i need a new hard drive fast.

i would like something reliable and as cheap that you can get.
it also needs to be sata 1 compatible... (i think thats what its called) i have jumpers (i think thats what they are called) but i read that a Samsung 1.5tb (i was planing to get) wasn't and you had to have a sata 2 compatible thing to switch it to sata 1

at this point i don't really care if its 1.5tb or not but i should be 1tb, unless those are also unreliable.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
for a while everything was fine, than the computer turned off and wouldn't start up, apparently the hard drive just stopped working for a bit (my motherboard didn't recognize it) than it got re recognized. my usb harddrive is in the 30mbs range and my other inturnal that is 4 years old about is in the 50 range, but that hit a max of 2.8.

all in all i just cant trust it.

but ill try, how do i make sure that DMA is working on it? ill post more screenshots as they are needed.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
almost forgot, one of the tools the drive came with, it failed the test.

that more or less meant the harddrive is circling the toilet.

but the other internal drive, i believe should preform better than it is right now.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
anyone? before i can send it away for a replacement i need a new hard drive.

1.5tb, 1tb is doesn't really matter, i just need something that i can trust.
something that i can set it to work at 1.5gbps hardware wise, not software.

to my understanding the samsung 1.5tb drive is the best one, but it is software 1.5gbps not a hardware setting, so i would need a computer with 3.0gbps to set it to 1.5 and that is something i don't have.

and every other thing im looking at is talking about a close to 50% if not higher fail rate.