Can you have dual monitors with dual desktops?

mathiasschnell

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
Question might be a bit confusing, so let me explain. Right now I have a 7600GT and I can have a dual monitor setup if I plug one monitor into the DVI port and one in the VGA port. Then I use Windows to 'Extend' my current desktop. This simply makes my desktop bigger by making the 2nd monitor another space that my mouse and programs can go to. However, if I try to play a game, that takes all the attention of my entire desktop while using only 1 monitor (at least Starcraft does that), and the other one just displays whatever was in that desktop area, but I can't get to it because everything's focused on the game.

So my question is this. Can you have two monitors running two different desktops (using one machine) such that both can be used at the same time for different purposes without one taking control of the other?

MattC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
Not with windows. Linux may be able to (I can't comment on that). There are some games, though, that work really well with alt tab, so you can just alt-tab out to use the second display whenever you want.
If you wanted, you could always buy a large case for your computer and mount an additional system somewhere - something using a really small form factor system. I can't help you pick the parts though, and not just any components would work (your PS would have to cover both, which could be tricky due to the number of certain cables.