Pci 16x 1.1 bottleneck?

I'm guessing you'd lose a few fps, especially in Crysis and especially at 1920x1200 or more. Still, based on benchmarks I've seen, the 4870x2 can deliver more than 60fps almost anywhere, and lots of LCD monitors can't display more than that anyway. No worries there.

What kind of PSU do you have?

hannibal

Distinguished
The biggest thing is that can pci 1.1 deliver enough power for the 4870x2?
It draws so much power... Can those extra power connectors deliver enough power, when the pci 2.0 is not helping.
I have old amd ddr based board with reasonable good cpu, so that is not problem, but power can be...

I expect it will work. Here's the logic:

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15105/7
- shows 436W for an entire system with a DQ6 MB and a QX9650, at the wall socket. Allowing for 85% efficiency (they used a Silencer 750W), and at least 100W for the CPU+MB alone, this means the HD 4870X32 alone took less than 300W.

The PCI-E 1.1 slot itself delivers 75W. The card takes a 6-pin connector (75W) and an 8-pin connector (150W). In total, it can get up to 300W and needs less. That should do.

Most PCIe 2.0 are only 2.0 for signalling and are still 75W power draw, both the ATi and nV PCIe 2.0 cards are designed to handle 75W at the connector.

Some slots might be able ot handle more, but there's little reason to design for that exclusively at this point.

TRENDING THREADS