CPU overheating on new PC build

matt3232

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
I just finished building a PC for the first time and the CPU is overheating. I checked the BIOS temp monitor it was at about 95C :ouch: What could be the problem? The processor is a Q6600. I didn't use thermal paste as there was already thermal pads on the HSF. Maybe the HSF is not seated properly?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Get rid of the stock heat paste use a razor thin application of AC5, AND,, make certain that the hsf is installed as tight as it will go,as long as you do not overclock tooooo much it will do fine,you should be able to lift the mobo with the hsf installed and there should be no looseness or wobbling,be gentle but firm..:>)

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006

Have u removed the piece of Plastic / Paper covering the thermal paste?

matt3232

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
There was no plastic covering the thermal paste. Anyways, I replaced the thermal pads with some OCZ silver 5+ thermal paste and made sure that the HSF was seated properly. Now the BIOS monitor shows the processor is about 65C, is this what it should be running at?

zipmaster07

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
There's only so much technicality in cooling off a CPU. Since you're already certain that there is the proper amount of thermal paste and the cooler and heatsink are seated correctly, then you have to consider a faulty processor. Really the only way to check is to get another hsf (in this case you should probably get a pretty good one) and see if you still have the same problem. If after you use an aftermarket cooler and you're still getting the same problem, RMA your CPU and get a new one.

At least that's my opinion