Overclocking Q6700 on Dell XPS 410

Okay, quick question...
I've recently (4 months ago) upgraded my processor from an E6300 to a Q6700, without problem. Now, I've, since my PC's been stable at default frequency, push the CPU a bit harder, 'cause I do a ton of video encoding. Unfortunetly, the results haven't been pretty: at 3 Ghz, running four instances of Prime95 gets me temps of around 75-80C -- however, video encoding seems fine at this speed. I'm not quite sure what to do. Would I be fine with the overclock if idle temps are 31-35C, and video encoding's 58-65C? If not, what cooling options exist for the XPS case, besides cutting holes out of the sides?
17 answers Last reply
More about overclocking q6700 dell
  1. Correct me if I'm worng buit if you got the latest version of Prime95 it should be multithreaded. Also try OCCT.
  2. Quote:
    Correct me if I'm worng buit if you got the latest version of Prime95 it should be multithreaded. Also try OCCT.

    Yes, true, but when running a single instance of Prim95, I get about 15-30% on each of the cores, instead of the required 100%. So, therefore, I activate four instances. That's when Core Temp reads insane values...
  3. Try O.C.C.T, use HWMonitor to monitor temps.
  4. ^ Thanks, much better values using OCCT! My two other questions, though: what can be done to improve cooling in the Dell XPS 410, and would you suggest overclocking to 3.2 ghz, if my current temps w/ 3 ghz are about 63C?
  5. Since the layout is BTX (by the looks of it), you'll have a hard time changing the CPU cooler. Altho there is a ThermalTake BTX fan. Can you possibly take pics of the CPU HSF and the interior of the case?

    And you overclocking with the BIOS correct?
  6. Quote:
    Can you possibly take pics of the CPU HSF and the interior of the case?

    This is, essentially, my heatsink:


    Inside:


    Quote:
    And you overclocking with the BIOS correct?

    No, I'm increasing the FSB with SetFSB, within windows. Dell BIOS is locked.
  7. Ahh I thought that the XPS models had unlocked BIOS's did SetFSB automatically recognize your board?
  8. Remember to stress test for atleast 6 hours, Dell doesn't have the greatest cooling. If your overclocking to 3.2Ghz thats around 600+Mhz overclock from the stock Q6700 speed (2.66)

    So watch temps carefully!
  9. AKM880 said:
    Ahh I thought that the XPS models had unlocked BIOS's did SetFSB automatically recognize your board?

    No, I found, from online guides, that the XPS 410 board usually employed a modified well-known mobo. I used that model's controller, and it worked.

    Now, any suggestions for cooling?
  10. Looks like the Thermaltake fan is discontinued.......

    I can't seem to find any other BTX replacement fan, I guess modding is the easy way.
  11. ^ Okay, thanks for the help.
  12. RunningMyDDR2Off said:
    No, I found, from online guides, that the XPS 410 board usually employed a modified well-known mobo. I used that model's controller, and it worked.

    Now, any suggestions for cooling?



    What was the model number? I was trying to use SetFSB but could not find which one to use. I hate the way Dell locks everything down. Last time I go Dell, next system with be custom built although the HP firebird looks good. Love to have the Blackbird but way too much money.
  13. ^ Try the latest version of SetFSB, it should recognize the Dell motherboard on its own.
  14. lakeapple said:
    What was the model number? I was trying to use SetFSB but could not find which one to use. I hate the way Dell locks everything down. Last time I go Dell, next system with be custom built although the HP firebird looks good. Love to have the Blackbird but way too much money.


    Try the SLG505YC56DT; that worked for me. Please make sure, though, that your RAM supports the FSB speed you're going for, and that you've sufficient cooling (adding 2 80mm fans in the XPS 410's grill lowered CPU temps by 2-6 degrees C).
  15. RunningMyDDR2Off said:
    Try the SLG505YC56DT

    That's the PLL chip number, the only one that allowed Clockgen to work for me.
    Of the half dozen 410's I owned only 2 had it.
  16. delluser1 said:
    That's the PLL chip number, the only one that allowed Clockgen to work for me.
    Of the half dozen 410's I owned only 2 had it.

    I'm lucky, it seems. ;)
  17. The golden rule of overclocking is:

    Research every individual component THOROUGHLY and build the machine from scratch from parts. Easiest way.

    Discuss.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Dell Studio Xps Video Encoding