Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Windows XPHome. product key

Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
October 31, 2010 9:54:23 PM

Hello, I lost my box, but I have the product key. I bought a Windows XP Home disc and I am installing the operating system. It says the Product Key is invalid. Can you help?

More about : windows xphome product key

November 1, 2010 1:37:25 AM

Most likely the product key you have is an OEM key and the Win XP disc you just bought is probably retail or Corporate. You need to have the correct media disc for the corresponding product key. If you bought the disc, wouldn't you also have the product key with the disc you bought as well?

The other possiblity is that your Product Key is a Professional key and that won't work on the XP HOME disc (you can check that as it will tell on the product key sticker).

Hope that helps.
Score
0
November 1, 2010 11:26:14 AM

Hi, I just noticed thet my Product Key is OEM. Although, it came in a box and it had a sticker that I affixed to my computer. So, I only need OEM Windows XP Home disc right?
Score
0
Related resources
November 1, 2010 12:27:56 PM

As superfishnz stated, Use the disk you just bought and the key on the disk that you just bought.
Score
0
November 1, 2010 7:39:32 PM

I don't have the product key for that disc I just bought. Just the disc.
Score
0
November 1, 2010 7:47:53 PM

On the sticker it will tell you what version of Windows it is, and you will need an OEM disk of that type to install. XP Pro or Home.

The only disks that I can think of that would not come with a key may be volume licenses or pirated, or at least a copy of some-ones disk that people sell. I know on craigslist there are people offering pretty much illegal installations of Windows all the time.
Score
0
November 1, 2010 7:56:18 PM

hang-the-9 said:
On the sticker it will tell you what version of Windows it is, and you will need an OEM disk of that type to install. XP Pro or Home.

The only disks that I can think of that would not come with a key may be volume licenses or pirated, or at least a copy of some-ones disk that people sell. I know on craigslist there are people offering pretty much illegal installations of Windows all the time.


I know, I just bought a replacement for the one I lost.
Score
0
November 1, 2010 8:04:08 PM

Jay1200 said:
I know, I just bought a replacement for the one I lost.


It's probably just the wrong disk then, read the label and make sure to get the matching setup disk. And it will need to be OEM. A Retail XP disk will not work.
Score
0
November 1, 2010 8:42:39 PM

ya, so if I get a OEM disc and I have the OEM product it will work.
Right?
Score
0
November 1, 2010 8:57:34 PM

Jay1200 said:
ya, so if I get a OEM disc and I have the OEM product it will work.
Right?


Yes, OEM disk of the matching Windows version, will work with your code, but there may be catch.

If the OEM disk you get is for a different brand, it may not work. I don't know exactly how the keys are coded, but I have run across some OEM keys that don't work with all OEM disks. Like a Dell OEM Windows disk may not work with the key on the side of an HP box.
Score
0
November 1, 2010 11:40:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!