galaxy2jake

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I recently bought and built a new computer. After putting everything together, I powered up and tried to install windows. After about 3 minutes, my pc shut off. Now, it barely makes it 2 minutes.

I checked the bios, and my brand new q6600 with heat sink that came with it, is running at about 102 degrees F from start up, and easily makes it to 110 in about 30 seconds.

What can I do to cool it down? Do I have to buy a new heatsink?

Another thing, it did not come with thermal grease, so at first I didn't put any on. After it started shutting down, I went out and got some and applied it. When I removed the heatsink to apply the grease, I found that the top part of my cpu had melted a little bit. It still has its form and everything, but the top part melted.

What do I do?

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
102 degrees F? That's what... 33-34 C? I'd call that normal, even slightly low for the quad-core cpu.

As far as I remembers Intel heatsinks come with pre-applied thermal paste under a plastic film you remove before putting it on. Perhaps you forgot to remove that? The thought of a CPU getting hot enough to melt the metal heat spreader is quite boggling. It'd melt your motherboard's PCB before the heat spreader.

If it is the plastic film, it's likely acting as a layer of insulation between the CPU and heatsink, which is bad.

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Maybe there's a problem with your power supply. It maybe of low wattage. And disconnect all your peripherals like printer, graphics card etc... After installing Windows (Vista, I presume) you connect them. Plugin only essential things for installing OS.