Card Breaking DVI/VGA Adapters?

ad_ept

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Apologies for the sketchy details on this post, but I'm helping out a friend without being able to see the problem he's having for myself.
So, he has an ATI AIW X1900, which was working fine until about a week ago, when it stopped displaying anything.Ultimately, the problem was isolated to his DVI/VGA adapter stopping working, so he got a new one. A week on, and the new adapter seems to have also stopped working.

Is it possible that the card is blowing the adapters somehow?

I have another DVI/VGA adapter which I can give him, but there's not much point if they're just going to keep breaking. His monitor only has a D-Sub, and an HDMI connection, so using a standard DVI cable isn't an option. Would an actual DVI/VGA cable be better than just using an adapter on the VGA cable?

Thanks in advance for any help.

cyborg28

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007

Bloody unlikely. Those are pretty passive devices, I doubt they are ever fused.

Go to monoprice.com and get a dvi to hdmi cable. Set the HDTV to game or text mode if possible. Disable overscan if needed.

No problem!

Are these adapters screwed in? alot of the times the added wieght of the adapter plus the tension of the cable can cause a significant amount of pressure on the adapter. Theorectically it's feasible that if the adapter wasn't supported somehow the pins could bend internally causing a bad connection.

TRENDING THREADS