Sign in with
Your question

Card Breaking DVI/VGA Adapters?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 14, 2008 9:59:26 PM

Apologies for the sketchy details on this post, but I'm helping out a friend without being able to see the problem he's having for myself.
So, he has an ATI AIW X1900, which was working fine until about a week ago, when it stopped displaying anything.Ultimately, the problem was isolated to his DVI/VGA adapter stopping working, so he got a new one. A week on, and the new adapter seems to have also stopped working.

Is it possible that the card is blowing the adapters somehow?

I have another DVI/VGA adapter which I can give him, but there's not much point if they're just going to keep breaking. His monitor only has a D-Sub, and an HDMI connection, so using a standard DVI cable isn't an option. Would an actual DVI/VGA cable be better than just using an adapter on the VGA cable?

Thanks in advance for any help.
July 16, 2008 7:34:39 PM

Anybody?I'd be really grateful for any advice on this.
July 17, 2008 3:39:46 AM

ad_ept said:

Is it possible that the card is blowing the adapters somehow?

His monitor only has a D-Sub, and an HDMI connection, so using a standard DVI cable isn't an option.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bloody unlikely. Those are pretty passive devices, I doubt they are ever fused.

Go to monoprice.com and get a dvi to hdmi cable. Set the HDTV to game or text mode if possible. Disable overscan if needed.

No problem!
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2008 4:41:11 AM

Are these adapters screwed in? alot of the times the added wieght of the adapter plus the tension of the cable can cause a significant amount of pressure on the adapter. Theorectically it's feasible that if the adapter wasn't supported somehow the pins could bend internally causing a bad connection.
July 17, 2008 10:17:36 AM

Thanks a lot for your help, guys. I'll pass this on to my friend.
!