Sign in with
Your question

Intel Tempetature Fiasco

Last response: in CPUs
a c 126 à CPUs
August 15, 2008 11:42:55 PM

Looks like Intel is taking a step in the right direction here and helping us enthusiasts out. Hopefully this will help develop better temp software for the 45nm Intel dual and quad cores.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/IDF-DTS-Temperature,61...

Quote:
At IDF this year, Intel is expected to unveil (PDF) information that will lead to improved internal processor temperature monitoring. Intel has never previously disclosed information about the Tjunction value before of its 45nm desktop processors, a value that is needed to accurately measure the internal CPU temperature. Previously, these Tjunction values were estimated by software, but as each model and stepping of processor can potentially have a different Tjunction value, not to mention varying temperature response curves, no current method can be accurately trusted.

August 15, 2008 11:44:51 PM

Nice find. :D 

Edit:

Doh.. I was reading the quote, then notice... its on THG news. :lol: 
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2008 3:27:47 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/IDF-DTS-Temperature,61...

First there was no problem ... then it was the mobo manufacturers problem ... now it is their problem after all.

Nothing wrong with the chips ...

Just see how many threads there are here with a title with "Temps" in it.

I have Core Temp running here ... seems to be ok on the Q6xxx series.

Nice little app.

Doesn't match the bios temp reading though.

I dare say anyone who has melted a cpu recently ( a new one) should be able to take it back and swap it with no problems... they now publicly acknowledge you would have had problems telling if it was hot anyway ....

Thats good for overclockers ...

Computronix's article has been very helpful in the interim ... legend.

August 16, 2008 3:35:43 AM

What fiasco? Seriously, why the sensationalism? I mean, even the first MAIN paragraph says what the story is about:
Quote:
Previously undisclosed information about DTS or digital thermal sensor by Intel will be announced at IDF to provide for more accurate internal temperature monitoring of current 45nm CPUs.

So, disclosing information is a fiasco? How?

You act as if they had sensors that were causing CPUs to just overheat and stop. Wow. Here is the reason why Intel is disclosing the temperature information, according to the article:
Quote:
Previously, these Tjunction values were estimated by software, but as each model and stepping of processor can potentially have a different Tjunction value, not to mention varying temperature response curves, no current method can be accurately trusted.

And this is what Intel is planning on doing:
Quote:
Intel is appealing to the enthusiast community by fully disclosing the information needed to now properly determine this information on day 3 of IDF. If you are at IDF this year, the course will be #TMTS001, and will start at 1:40pm. Regular computer users will still benefit from this released knowledge by soon being able to monitor accurately the temperature of each core in their current Core 2, when previously unable to do so. Serious overclockers may find this particularly useful.

Oh, no. They can't be trying to appeal to the enthusiast community. Oh, no.

:pfff: 
a c 126 à CPUs
August 16, 2008 4:18:20 AM

Yo rey.... The search function is awesome:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252804-28-intel-discl...

I already posted this a while ago

Seriously you are making it worse than it is. The Q6600, or Kentsfield/Conroe, do not read temps the same as the Yorkfield/Wolfdale chips do. The 65nm chips read the temp using a outside diode. The 45nm chips use a on die DTS.

You of course have a Intel chip but you make this out to be something it is not. What Intel is doing is disclosing the info on the DTS sensor which will allow people to create a BETTER temp software to measure the DTS properly.

See there never has been a problem with the Intel chips. Its been the software not reading the DTS right or older mobos doing the same thing.

Either way you stole my thread.......
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2008 7:46:46 AM

Reynod... you should know how to search for threads... your not new... then again Jimmy, cut Reynod some slack... I don't think he meant it...
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2008 7:52:35 AM

Nice find... Too bad Reynod stole your thunder :D 
August 16, 2008 8:54:38 AM

LOL too funny. Cant believe how touchy things are. Man o man. Youd think someone posted Intel took drugs, wants you to take drugs, and all their profits go to terrorism. The response from this thread is worse than the threads OP, is made a fiasco by such responses. Dont be so defensive. It is what it is. No biggie
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2008 9:31:06 AM

jimmysmitty said:
Yo rey.... The search function is awesome:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252804-28-intel-discl...

I already posted this a while ago

Seriously you are making it worse than it is. The Q6600, or Kentsfield/Conroe, do not read temps the same as the Yorkfield/Wolfdale chips do. The 65nm chips read the temp using a outside diode. The 45nm chips use a on die DTS.

You of course have a Intel chip but you make this out to be something it is not. What Intel is doing is disclosing the info on the DTS sensor which will allow people to create a BETTER temp software to measure the DTS properly.

See there never has been a problem with the Intel chips. Its been the software not reading the DTS right or older mobos doing the same thing.

Either way you stole my thread.......

Hey jimmy I think you've got some of your facts twisted. Allendale, Conroe and Kentsfield all have DTS as did some mobile CPU's before C2D. If it didn't have DTS, CoreTemp, TAT, RealTemp, etc wouldn't read the individual core temperatures. The thermal diode you refer to is a singular device underneath the heatspreader that is measured by the motherboard and is thus vulnerable to inaccuracies due to BIOS lookup table inaccuracies. The problem with not knowing Tjunction has existed since the release of the first C2D's, not since the release or 45nm. Hopefully the disclosure of Tjunction for 65nm will come also.

Also I think what reynod is referring to as a fiasco is that enthusiasts have been crying for this information for almost 2 years now. Intel has had this information since shipping the first C2D's and only now are releasing the details.

a b à CPUs
August 16, 2008 3:23:19 PM

Sorry I can't spell ... got excited.

My T-junction reads 100degrees ... so what the hell does that mean ??

jimmy ... sorry bout that ... not intentional.

August 16, 2008 4:21:28 PM

Grimmy said:
Nice find. :D 

Edit:

Doh.. I was reading the quote, then notice... its on THG news. :lol: 

What the hell?

I didn't post in this thread. :heink: 
August 16, 2008 4:54:00 PM

Reynod said:
Sorry I can't spell ... got excited.

My T-junction reads 100degrees ... so what the hell does that mean ??

jimmy ... sorry bout that ... not intentional.

That means you're treating a constant as a measurement; in other words, you are failing.
August 16, 2008 5:44:06 PM

Grimmy said:
What the hell?

I didn't post in this thread. :heink: 

I merged the threads since someone 'rushed to the puplit to preach their sermon' rather than reading the forum first and realizing this topic had already been created, albeit under a much less inflamatory title. Unfortunately the forum suck-ware threw the 'preachers' title out first, even though it was time stamped later. It usually takes the earliest time stamp first but did not do so this time for some unknown reason
!