Some problems with first build...

AlterReality

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
I've got everything put together and the computer turns on. Was able to check E8400 3.0 ghz processor temp and it was 37.0c after sitting idle for ~10 minutes. I assume thats an OK temperature?

Now, I can't see to get the computer to recognize my hard drive or DVD drive. I have the hard drive in SATA Port 0 and my DVD drive hooked up through the 80 pin ribbon (the larger ribbon). I tried to throw my Vista DVD into the drive. It has power (opens) and even spins, but the computer doesn't seem to recognize its there.

In terms of the HDD, in the bios, it doesn't recognize any SATA drives at all.

So what have I done wrong or what do I need to do?

AlterReality

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
Ok, figured out my DVD drive wasn't pushed in all the way in the MOBO. So its working now. Just want to verify that 37-40c is an OK idle temp for E8400? (I also have the case open, so thats probably helping a little bit)

G

yeah... those are fine are you using the stock HSF?

I have a e6420 @ 3.2 ghz and I idle at 30 C with a thermalright si-128

^ i think thats good though

AlterReality

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
yeah... those are fine are you using the stock HSF?

I have a e6420 @ 3.2 ghz and I idle at 30 C with a thermalright si-128

^ i think thats good though

I'm using a Xigmatek heat sink. I had the case fan off and this case only has 3 internal fans (front, side, back). Its a cooler master case, so there are spots for about 4 more fans, which I may have to do.

I also got the ATI 4850, which seems to run very hot.

Overall, its running well. Just need to get Vista set up and going. Gonna download Kapersky (sp) and Firefox asap and then worry about my outside programs.

Does anyone have any suggestions in terms of programs for Vista? I play on getting many of the test and monitoring programs which are listed in the OC section of this webiste, because I do plan to OC to 3.6 ghz.