Sign in with
Your question

SATA to USB Adapter Not Working

Last response: in Storage
October 27, 2009 12:02:35 AM

I have a SATA to USB adapter kit and I am attempting to connect and transfer files from a 2.5" SATA drive. I have tried two different SATA drives, one that I know is not damaged (160 GB Western Digital), one that I am not sure about (120 GB Hitachi).

I have tried to connect both drives on both XP and Vista machines and the same thing happens each time for each drive:

the drive is installed as a USB Mass Storage Device

the drive shows up in Device Manager under both Disk Drives as a USB Drive and under Universal Serial Bus Controllers as a USB Mass Storage Device

the drives show up as USB Mass Storage devices in the safe hardware removal window

in XP, the drives do not show up in Disk Management. In Vista, the drives show up as unreadable and uninitialized and cannot be initialized

I have plugged the drives directly into the USB ports of the computers as well as into a powered USB port and I get the same results regardless.

Any help anyone can provide is much appreciated.

Thanks...Jenn
a c 126 G Storage
October 27, 2009 3:32:30 AM

Quote:
in XP, the drives do not show up in Disk Management. In Vista, the drives show up as unreadable and uninitialized and cannot be initialized

Could you elaborate? Do you get a failure message when trying to initialize them in Vista?
October 27, 2009 4:27:53 PM

sub mesa said:
Quote:

Could you elaborate? Do you get a failure message when trying to initialize them in Vista?

In Vista it provides an error message which says "The device is not ready."
!