Sign in with
Your question

Will a SATA II device with a SATA controller

Last response: in Storage
October 27, 2009 12:24:25 AM

I just purchase a Corsair P128 SSD drive which has a SATA II interface. Will this drive work with a SATA controller. I plugged it into my Asus A8V Deluxe MB and not only is the drive not recognized but it gives me a failure. I thought that the SATA II interface would have been backwards compatible with the slower transfer rate of the SATA. I'm wondering if it is a compatibility problem or perhaps I have a bad drive?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 27, 2009 1:14:41 AM

I asked this question to the community before, and got a reply that on the newer drives it is backwards compatible.
The older drives (when SATA2 just became available) mentioned if they where or not backwards compatible.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
October 27, 2009 3:30:22 AM

You should be able to connect SATA 1.5Gbps to SATA 3.0Gbps controller, and vice versa: a SATA 3.0Gbps drive to a SATA 1.5Gbps controller.

However, because of some issues (not adhering to specs) this may fail for some old (crappy) SATA controllers. That's why many SATA 3.0Gbps drives have a jumper to force 1.5Gbps mode. Don't know if your SSD has that.

What kind of failure does it give you? If its not detected (in BIOS?) how can it give you a failure message? :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 349 G Storage
October 27, 2009 2:42:35 PM

Check this FAQ page at corsair:

http://www.corsair.com/helpdesk/ssd_support_tips.aspx

It claims ALL their SSD drives are fully compatible with BOTH SATA I and II. That would suggest yours has a specific problem, NOT a SATA incompatibility problem.

NOTE: they also recommend you set your system to use AHCI interfacing with their SSD's.
m
l
November 3, 2009 12:40:18 AM

I spoke with Corsair and they said the same thing that the drive is backwards compatible. When I spoke to Asus they seemed to think that the drive needed to be jumppered down but the drive has not jumper it is all done in the firmware. I put the drive in another newer computer and it worked just fine so it seems to be a problem with the Asus MB and the BIOS. The error that I got was "Hardware initiate failed, please check device" "The BIOS does not be installed" other than the BIOS writer needing a grammer lesson I would say that the BIOS is just too old. Even though the computer is 5 years old it still works very well and it kills me to get a new machine for this so I was thinking of just getting an add-on SATA card and use that to boot from. Thanks for the feedback.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
November 3, 2009 12:57:49 AM

Indeed the 'BIOS writer' is some 13-year old chinese kid who doesn't know what he's doing. I've had the same experience and BIOSes generally have lots of bugs. Asian tech people do not care about quality they just want it to work so they can sell it; they don't care if it doesn't work in some specific purposes.
m
l
!