HDTV TV inputs

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
September 19, 2005 5:00:31 PM

I'm looking at the Olevia 37" LT37HVS.

What I'm trying to understand is, does it have the correct inputs
available for what would be my immediate and future needs.

I would want to be able to connect a cable company set top box (Rogers
in Toronto), a DVD player with upconverting capabilities and a computer.
I am hoping to initially use it with analogue cable, OTA HDTV and a
computer with PVR (non-HDTV at this point) software. The computer
currently does not have DVI output but that is a definite upgrade once I
figure out exactly what is needed.

I'm not sure what the cable HDTV set-top box would connect to when I
eventually use it. The HDMI connection?
I assume a splitter is used and one of the split signals goes into the
CATV/antenna for analogue and one goes into the set-top box.
I understand the DVD with upconverting needs to use HDMI.
Would the computer go into the VGA or is it better for it to go into the
HDMI.

http://www.syntaxgroups.com/products/37hvs_spec.html

I/O Ports

HDTV Component Input Y, Pb/Cb, Pr/Cr x 2 (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i)
Composite Video Input RCA x 2
S-Video Input 4-pin DIN x 3
Audio Input RCA L/R x 8
HDMI-Input HDMI-I x 1
VGA Input D-Sub 15 x 1
TV System Support NTSC and ATSC
TV Tuner Input TV / CATV RF x 1, NTSC & TV/RF x 1 for ATSC
TV System Support (optional) PAL / SECAM (Region Specific)
Service Port RS232 x 1

More about : hdtv inputs

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 11:45:58 PM

<tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking at the Olevia 37" LT37HVS.
>
> What I'm trying to understand is, does it have the correct inputs
> available for what would be my immediate and future needs.
>
> I would want to be able to connect a cable company set top box (Rogers in
> Toronto), a DVD player with upconverting capabilities and a computer.
> I am hoping to initially use it with analogue cable, OTA HDTV and a
> computer with PVR (non-HDTV at this point) software. The computer
> currently does not have DVI output but that is a definite upgrade once I
> figure out exactly what is needed.
>
> I'm not sure what the cable HDTV set-top box would connect to when I
> eventually use it. The HDMI connection?
> I assume a splitter is used and one of the split signals goes into the
> CATV/antenna for analogue and one goes into the set-top box.
> I understand the DVD with upconverting needs to use HDMI.
> Would the computer go into the VGA or is it better for it to go into the
> HDMI.
>

> http://www.syntaxgroups.com/products/37hvs_spec.html
>
> I/O Ports
>
> HDTV Component Input Y, Pb/Cb, Pr/Cr x 2 (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i)
> Composite Video Input RCA x 2
> S-Video Input 4-pin DIN x 3
> Audio Input RCA L/R x 8
> HDMI-Input HDMI-I x 1
> VGA Input D-Sub 15 x 1
> TV System Support NTSC and ATSC
> TV Tuner Input TV / CATV RF x 1, NTSC & TV/RF x 1 for ATSC
> TV System Support (optional) PAL / SECAM (Region Specific)
> Service Port RS232 x 1

First off, I would go to the Olevia web site and download the user's manual
for the set you are looking at. It will show all the interconnections. I
ened up downloading, and printing parts of, for a half dozen sets. Paper is
cheap compared to a TV. Unless your cable guy is smarter than the ones
around here, they only know how to hook up to an HD set by using component
video cables. Meanwhile, I am trying to get a cable card to work right. They
keep telling me they know what the problem is, and will fix in in a few
minutes. Hasn't happened yet, after 4 days. (Some HD channels work)

Cable boxes that I have seen have a DVI, rather than an HDMI output. There
is a DVI to HDMI adapter cable, but that won't work with some TV if there is
no external audio input associated with the HDMI input.

Tam
!