timpkin

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
I've recently been having problems with my homebuilt system (that has worked error free since March 2007) and I think I've narrowed it down to my PSU, maybe, and was curious if I could get some advice from here. My computer specs are at the end and I have a couple of general questions.

I'm using Easy Tune 5 (I know it's not the favored monitoring software) to simply monitor the voltages and temperature over the next couple of days in case of any lockups/no-starts like before. The Voltage is listed as such:

VCoreA ~1.2-1.3
+3.3V 3.31
+12V 12.110
CPU Vid 1.320

1) Are these within good limits?

2) When I would start my computer while it was having trouble, the video card fan would immediately kick into overdrive. Would this indicate a video card problem or the card getting too much juice? I've replaced the card with a cheaper one for testing and still had some of the same problems, but is currently working fine.

3) During my health monitoring, it shows my MHz dropping to 1.1 from 1.8 while programs are inactive and jumping back up for work; I'm assuming this is perfectly normal, yes?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. After leaving the computer and PSU turned off for a few days while I researched possible solutions on my laptop, it has worked fine since restarting.

Thanks,

Scott

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300
Gigabyte 965P-DQ6
XFX GeForce 7900GS 256MB
G.Skill 2GB DDR2 800
Thermaltake 700W (this PSU is currently overkill but I got it for future overclocking, quad core, and SLI configurations)

akhilles

Splendid
1) Gen-speak, the fluctuations of + 3.3v & +12v should be within 5%. The others vary from board to board & cpu to cpu. A good board or modded one will have minimal vdroop if any at all. The stock mobo will ALWAYS have a vdroop. The cpu voltages in bios, in windows & in actuality will be different. Hence, the vdroop mod.

3) I think your mobo's energy saving kicks in at idle. You can disable them in bios: EIST, C1E.

timpkin

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
Great, thanks for the feedback.

Here's a more general question about what I've noticed in troubleshooting my system. When I turn the PSU off for a while and then turn it on before I start my computer, my computer starts normally; however, when i leave the PSU on for a while and try to start my computer, the Mobo gives me a weird unpure beep, acts like it's starting and the monitor doesn't turn on. Would this be a shoe in for a blown PSU?

Thanks!

Scott

timpkin

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
My mistake, I used the wrong adjective. I wouldn't say "blown" but malfunctioning. For examply, I've turned the PSU off for a while before turning it back on for 10 seconds and then starting my computer. Now I'm working from it.

Anyway, it's either a weird PSU problem or more likely a mobo issue, which really stinks. I'm going to take it to a local shop where they can diagnose with their extra hardware they can use.

Thanks.