Sign in with
Your question

Is my hard drive dead? I think I need help!!!

Last response: in Storage
October 27, 2009 4:43:22 AM

hi all, i need some advice

I currently have 2 hard drives in my pc. one is a 640 or so gb and the other is a 700 or so gb drive.

now i have noticed that i does feel a little dodgy to me but am not all that sure. ( when i tryed to install windows 7 on it, it would not format. got it to work eventually though (dont know how though) )

i am a avid over clocker and try to push the boundaries a little. what i have noticed recently though is that when i try to enter windows 7, which is on the 700gb drive, i get an error code (something about I/O) and says something about removing a harddrive. * will update in a moment

This only happens when overclocking. when im on stock clock, it boots up. windows 7 also tends to freeze while doing intense read writee skills like when playing games. when the computer begins to move again, everything becomes extreamly slugish and alot of things fail and have to be closed down.

the thing though is that on my other drive is vi$ta. and when overclocking, it boots up perfectly ( to a certain degree.)

I think i may have a dead hard drive on my hands
does anyone else think so too? any advice will help.

More about : hard drive dead

a b $ Windows 7
a c 357 G Storage
October 27, 2009 3:14:34 PM

You have two hard drives that both work perfectly when your system is running stock. But both become troublesome when overclocked to the limit. No, you don't have a hard drive problem. You have overclocked BEYOND the limit! Either back off a bit, or find some additional overclocking items to tweak to solve your problem.
m
l
October 27, 2009 8:13:44 PM

Paperdoc said:
You have two hard drives that both work perfectly when your system is running stock. But both become troublesome when overclocked to the limit. No, you don't have a hard drive problem. You have overclocked BEYOND the limit! Either back off a bit, or find some additional overclocking items to tweak to solve your problem.

no no sorry wrote it wrong ha ha
what i mean is any overclock. even an extra .10 causes failure to boot, but vista works fine. all good on normal though
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a c 357 G Storage
October 28, 2009 3:16:06 PM

Ah, OK, the problem comes with even a minor overclock. Then I suggest it really does comes down to finding what other items need to be tweaked to get the overclocking to run stably. I don't overclock. But from what I read, you usually have to try out several things in combination until you find what does actually work. But it's not random - there is a logic to it. For example, there are times when you have to increase the voltage supplied to the CPU or the RAM to get them to work at higher speeds, but you have to be careful not to go so high the voltage itself causes damage, or the extra current flowing causes overheating. There may be optimizations necessary among RAM speed, RAM timing settings, and RAM voltage. Etc, etc, etc. Read up as much as you can in these forums about these techniques, and you'll probably find the next thing (or two, or three) you need to tweak to get your overclock to work. Then Round 2: the next steps up.

Good luck.
m
l
October 28, 2009 7:52:16 PM

hi guys, found the problem, was the hard drive, only its not dead, one of the power pins were not connecting in the case :sweat:  thats why it would not boot up, not enough power as the overclock was stealing it!!! anyway thanks for the suggestions :hello: 
m
l
!