MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790X
RAM: Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz
GPU: XFX Ati HD 4870 1GB
Antec 300
Corsair 650TX
Western Digital 160GB
LG GH22NS30 22x DVD-RW
Windows 7

1) Now i wanna overlock my CPU, to what extend should I overlock my CPU, so that it will give me significant performance boost in gaming but still keep my CPU stable and be on the safe side.

2) If I overclock, will my 650W be enough and should I also get a heatsink or will my case to the job of keeping my components cool.

3) Also, would it make sense to overlock my video card and will that give me significant performance boost in gaming.

1) Read the primer on AMD overclocking here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-overclock-athlon,2161.html

Use the AMD overdrive software to close in on your limits. Then set your speeds accordingly in the bios.

2) 650 wATTS will be plenty for overclocking. Your wattage rating for that proc is 125W TDP. Through overclocking you may reach 150W, maybe a little higher under full load. Yes, before overclocking you should seriously consider getting a quality HSF. With the retail HS unit I guess you could hit around 3.3-3.4 Ghz before thermals get too high. I estimate you could hit 3.6-3.7 with a quality air cooler. But there are no guarantees when it comes to overclocking.

Also you want to use software to monitor your temps while overclocking. This proc has a max of 70C for core temps, I don't let mine get above 60C fully loaded.

3) That depends. If it matters to you what your 3dmark score is or exactly how many frames per second you're getting than maybe. Most overclocks I see gain about a 5% performance improvement, however it depends on the card and the game title.
The HD 4890's are supposed to have some good overclocking room, and benefit from those efforts.

For me personally, the 5 or 10% gain in frames per second don't justify the fan noise racket from ramping up the fan to deal with the increased heat.

There are articles on the net that can assist with video card overclocking and setting fan speed profiles up. Read them, they will help. In particular, look up Rivatuner walkthroughs like they have at guru 3d.