How much voltage can the i7 920 safely take?

aggielaw

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Posted this in general discussion, but no help yet, so trying here.

I'm concerned about my CPU voltage.

System 1 (in pertinent part):
Core i7 920 D0
Asus P6T Deluxe v2
Corsair Dominator 1600MHz (3x1GB)
Cooler Master HAF 932
Prolimatech Megahalems
Noiseblocker 1k-2krpm in push/pull config
Corsair 850w PS

CPU-Z readouts:
Bus speed: 200
Multiplier: 20x
CPU Voltage: 1.424v

When I set the BIOS I left the CPU voltage to "auto".

First, is this a safe voltage? Is it likely I can successfully lower the voltage manually in the BIOS? If I attempt to lower it and it fails will I fry my CPU?

And finally, is there a better/safer/more power efficient way to have the D0 hit 4.0 and be stable? I run SETI, so all cores and threads stay at 100% all the time.

Thanks,
HC

aggielaw

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Ouch. Guess I need to back it off a bit. I don't understand how people are safely getting their D0s over 4 safely.

Thanks for your help!

HC

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Many users don't bother to look up Intel's specifications, so some are not getting "over 4 safely". Regardless, D0 Stepping will typically run ~ 200 Mhz faster than C0 at the same Vcore and temperatures.

c0der1020

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Intel has from my experience always set their Vcore max very low. I guess just to be absolutely sure that noone can fry their CPU as long as they stay within that limit.
That doesn't mean that running 1.424v would fry your cpu for sure though.

What you suggested yourself is the way to do it. If your cpu runs fine now try and lower the voltage bit by bit and run some benchmarks. When you get a failure you go back up one increment and then run some hourlong tests to make sure it's stable.

Failure from too low voltage doesnt fry your cpu. It just means that there isn't enough juice to do the calculations which doesn't harm the cpu.