• Antec
  • Computer
  • Fan
  • Cooling
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 27, 2008 2:28:15 AM

i just finish building my new computer and found out the molex connectors on the fans(antec 900) does not work with my mb(GA-X48-DQ6) and the antec 850 truepower quattro doesn't have the molex for the fan. i have since order 2 fan molex to 3 pin adapter. now, the idea is using a fan and have it blow into the build area with the side window open. would that be a good substitute til i get my adapters?

p.s. i also went to several computer stores and no one carried this adapter. :pt1cable:  :cry: 

More about : crazy cooling idea fan

June 27, 2008 2:42:49 AM

I had similar issues, untill I replaced the fans with Scythe fans (quieter, and better airflow). The fan idea should work for the interim (don't plan to use it for long, or do anything seriously intensive ex.. ocing, or heavy gaming)
June 27, 2008 2:47:31 AM

no ocing. i will be playing warcraft 3 custom games on battle.net.
June 27, 2008 2:54:06 AM

Ok, you should be good for a little while, what are the specs of your' system?
June 27, 2008 3:01:44 AM

mb
GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X48

hdd
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

proc
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core

ps
Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

case
Antec Nine Hundred

dvd/rw
ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA

mem
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel

heatsink
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

vc
msi hd 4850

June 27, 2008 3:09:48 AM

Just set the fans to low(so they are quiet) and plug them into the power supply(it does have the 4 pin molex connectors). You do not need fan only connectors. just plug em in.
June 27, 2008 3:22:44 AM

Unless Antec decided to disallow use of ALL IDE devices the connector is in the included cable set. The fans just use normal molex connectors(and they just take 12 volts).

Antec Truepower Quattro 850W

- Molex: 9 Connectors (modular)

- SATA: 8 Connectors (modular)

- PCI-E 6+2 Pin: 2 Connectors

- PCI-E 6 Pin: 2 Connectors (modular)

- 4-Pin Floppy: 2 Connector

- 20+4 ATX Connector:

- 8 Pin CPU connector:

- 4 Pin CPU connector:
June 27, 2008 3:47:49 AM

heres the thing, i have that plugged in to the fans now, but it doesn't run. everything else runs tho
June 27, 2008 4:06:56 AM

That's not right, maybe you have defective fans. try the high speed. not even the top fan will run?. Antec once had a problem with tri cool fans, but it was supposed to be fixed.

Does your case use the long screws for the hard drives? If so it should be the newer 900 with new fans.

I run all mine off the same cable as the hard drives since i have custom cables so i can run the drives backwards for better cable management.

June 27, 2008 4:22:20 AM

all 4? that would really suck. none of the speeds would work.

yes, the screws are long for hdd.

i guess i'll try emailing antec to see if they can help.

in the mean time, if you can think of another way, i open to suggestions.
June 27, 2008 4:28:55 AM

The only other thing i can think of is checking to make sure the modular cables are connected firmly and the connector for the fan is firm as well. I have never seen the 200mm(top) fan not work.

I have many tri cools and i always just plug them in with the CD/DVD drive or hard drives(because of my 90 degree sata power connectors), but since your DVD drive is sata that will not work.

Did your DVD drive come with a Molex to SATA adapter(there may be some with the motherboard too)? if so you can use that to make sure the actual molex on the PSU is working right by running the DVD drive with it.
June 27, 2008 4:33:15 AM

Either your PSU is defective or the fans are. Make sure they are plugged in all the way.
June 27, 2008 4:41:14 AM

I had issues on occasion when I changed or added parts to my antec 900. Seems as if you have to firmly recheck the connections each time you mess around with them. I would turn the system on and part of the fans wouldnt work, sometimes the 200mm fan, sometimes 3 of the 120mm fans or none of them would work. After shutting down the system and rechecking the connections it would work fine.

Are you pigtailing them all together? I did and thats why when they wouldnt work, it would effect more than one.

I think its a connection issue myself...
June 27, 2008 1:55:34 PM

the dvd drive did not with molex to sata adapter.

check all connection and still no go with fan.

once the adapters i ordered comes in, i will know for sure whats wrong. i hope it comes in tomorrow but it will probably be monday.

i was hoping my very first build will gone more smoothly but u live and learn. more research on next build!!
June 27, 2008 2:08:11 PM

on a side note, in my bios, the cpu is running at about 29 deg C; this on initial boot up without the case fans running and side case open. i was just looking in the bios.
June 27, 2008 4:58:37 PM

Do you have another computer fan you can try to plug into the molex connector? even an old hard drive to hear if it spins? it would be hard for 4 fans to come defective. The defect Antec had was fans not running on low, but high always worked.
June 27, 2008 6:13:41 PM

nope. i think that molex cable is not meant for the fans. it has 3 molex connectors, a 4 pin connector (looks like a cpu fan connector) on one end, and a 2x2 molex power connector on the other. refer to picture.
June 27, 2008 6:59:56 PM

The 4 pin connector is for a floppy drive.

All the big 4 pin molex connectors are made to power what ever will fit(Hard drive, fan controller, old video cards, cd drive ect). Fans should work on it. The fan only molex's just provide variable voltage to slow and speed up fans. They also provide no 5 volt line, so you can not run anything else on those. In your case it should be working

The large 2x2 is to plug into the psu and provides 2 x ground(black) 1 x 12 volt(Yellow) and 1 x 5 volt(red)
June 27, 2008 8:07:43 PM

here's what i originally wired. the fan molexes were connected to the three molex and 4 pin connector in the sys-fan1 connector(wrong place?). the psu has 3 2x2 hdd/sata power sockets and 2 pci-e power sockets. one time, i try to plug the 2x2 connector into the hdd/sata power socket and the power got cutoff immediately, shorted maybe. the 4 pin connector was still in the plug into the mb and power was connected to the mb. since it cutoff immediately, i don't think it affected the mb in any way. did it?

here's what i'm gonna try tonight when i get home. i'll disconnect the power from the board and card, disconnect the 4 pin connect from the board, and connect the molexes to the fan molexes with the 2x2 power connector plug into hdd/sata power socket on the psu.

will that work?
June 27, 2008 8:48:20 PM

We are going to have to start this over.

I did not get a good look at the PSU. the molex's should connect with a 2 x 3 pin plug to the power supply.

_____EDIT..

Quote:
here's what i originally wired. the fan molexes were connected to the three molex and 4 pin connector in the sys-fan1 connector(wrong place?)

Are you saying you plugged the 4 pin connector(floppy) to the System fan port on the board? That does not go there.

That may be a reason its not working

Quote:
i try to plug the 2x2 connector into the hdd/sata power socket and the power got cutoff immediately

Its not advised to make connections with the system on

Quote:
here's what i'm gonna try tonight when i get home. i'll disconnect the power from the board and card, disconnect the 4 pin connect from the board, and connect the molexes to the fan molexes with the 2x2 power connector plug into hdd/sata power socket on the psu.

Ok.
Connector your motherboard normally (20+4 pin ATX and 4 or 8 pin CPU power) IMPORTANT!!
On the first black plug of your power supply, plug in the SATA cables. Plug that to your hard drive and DVD drive
On the second black plug, plug in one of those 3 molex connector cables. Plug this into the fans.

That should be it. Sorry if this is confusing.
June 27, 2008 9:45:16 PM

nukemaster said:
We are going to have to start this over.

I did not get a good look at the PSU. the molex's should connect with a 2 x 3 pin plug to the power supply.

_____EDIT..

Quote:
here's what i originally wired. the fan molexes were connected to the three molex and 4 pin connector in the sys-fan1 connector(wrong place?)

Are you saying you plugged the 4 pin connector(floppy) to the System fan port on the board? That does not go there.
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/3850/4pindl3.jpg
That may be a reason its not working

Quote:
i try to plug the 2x2 connector into the hdd/sata power socket and the power got cutoff immediately

Its not advised to make connections with the system on

Quote:

Ok.
Connector your motherboard normally (20+4 pin ATX and 4 or 8 pin CPU power) IMPORTANT!!
On the first black plug of your power supply, plug in the SATA cables. Plug that to your hard drive and DVD drive
On the second black plug, plug in one of those 3 molex connector cables. Plug this into the fans.

That should be it. Sorry if this is confusing.

Man, do i feel stupid! :non:  :sweat: 

it's not confusing. it makes a lot of sense. i'll give it a try tonight.
June 28, 2008 7:25:30 AM

i do feel like a stupid idiot. i'm typing this in my new computer. it should have thought of that. oh well.

i do appreciate all of your help with this and thank you very much.
June 28, 2008 4:58:09 PM

So all your fans are working now? if so time to start overclocking :) 
June 28, 2008 7:13:07 PM

all fans are running. don't have plans to oc yet. i'm not big on ocing. my old comp, a amd athlon 900 MHz( yes a 900 MHz) with only a stock fan, is still running. the interior is full of dust and dust bunnies. even the computer still runs, it is too slow for todays application. it is about 9 years old. i don't plan on keeping this one for that long.
June 28, 2008 8:53:56 PM

Put that whole computer inside a refrigerator. No need for fans then.
June 29, 2008 12:10:05 AM

Well, enjoy the new system.
!