Bad BIOS checksum....replaced mobo, CPU, and RAM.....

the_mystery_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
Yes, after all that, the error persists. My system either won't boot, or gives the error "Bad BIOS Checksum, Starting BIOS recovery", like there was a bad flash. I RMA'd the mobo, and the CPU. They are both new now. I have tried swapping out the RAM, still bad. I tested the PSU, and it came out good.....but, is there a chance it has a defect the tester isn't picking up? How foolproof are those things?

Anybody got any suggestions?

My system:

Asus P5K-e
Q6600 G0
eVGA 8800GTS 512MB
4GB Crucial Ballistix or 512MB Kingston 667Mhz value RAM (problem is the same regardless of which one is used)
PC Power and Cooling 610w silencer

I've been troubleshooting it without a case or drives or any other peripheral cards, just running on a box on my desk.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Oh the reasons keep coming in, as to why I buy Gigabyte. It sounds like there is a factory error on that MB (the BIOS to be exact), try flashing the BIOS (should be able to from a thumb drive). Or try pulling the CMOS battery for a bit, 5-10 min, while the system is Off, and unplugged.

the_mystery_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
Oh don't get me started on Asus. This board is gonna be the last thing I ever buy from them. Even if it's not at fault here, the board layout is garbage (GPU blocks the CMOS battery and two of the SATA ports), and their RMA "It's on it way back to you" emails never have the tracking number.......

Anyway, maybe I should've gone over the backstory here. The board was basically stuck in a loop of this. Reflashing does not help, and, as we have seen, apparently neither does replacing the board, or the CPU. The whole thing started when I got home one night and found Windows complaining that the file ntoskrnl had gone missing ( :eek: ). I rebooted (to do a repair install), and the BIOS complained the CPU was not recognized. I haven't seen the POST or setup screens (or an operating system) ever since. It always either doesn't boot (just fans), or gives the bad checksum error. You reflash, and reboot as it tells you, and you get the bad checksum error again. I RMAd the board and got the BIOS chip replaced, RMAd the CPU and got a new one, RMAd the board AGAIN and got a new one of those.....and we're still here.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

It sounds to me like the Hard drive has gone bad. You do know that controller failure on an HD will prevent a motherboard from POSTing?

Disconnect the HD and now try getting the Bios screen after turn-on. If it gives the checksum error press F1 to go into Bios and just save it. If it hangs before Posting try this.. Turn off the PS, turn it back on, press the soft-on button (power button on system) and immediately press and hold the bottom-right "Insert" key. Then it should restart and get as far as "missing operating system." Now shut down, reconnect the hard drive, and see if it boots.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Just make some changes in the bios and save them. For me that is going from defaults to my manual OC settings. No check sum error after saving the changes. Happens on three of my Asus board, it a feature not a bug ;)

As for going to Gigabyte I believe they are made in the same factory and they typically don't perform as well, though the differences and very slight.