Please Help! Hard Drive Problem!

SinisterMessiah

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Good evening,

So I'm finishing up my new rig, and I go to install XP. This is a standard vanilla version of XP. No Services packs, nothing.

Anyway, I get to the part of the windows installation where it's a blue screen, and it says to select the partition you want to install windows on.

Well, the only partition listed there is definitely my hard drive, except that it's saying the size is only roughly 131 gigs instead of 250 gigs.

I know that hard drives don't format to their advertised size, but 131 gigs down from 250?

I will also mention that in the bios it says that the drive is 250 gigs. I don't understand why windows installation is saying otherwise.

What gives?

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
There should be an area in the BIOS to select for "Large Disks" (SP2 does not have this issue) you could also try slipstreaming SP2 into the install. Don't remember how, but someone else on this site may. the HDD could just need re-formatted as well (someone may have formatted it previously) delete all partitions (in the area that XP asks to select a partition) and create a new partition, and format in NTFS (FAT/FAT32 has issues with disk size).

in other words delete all partitions, create a new one, then format in NTFS.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
before SP1 ~ windows can only recognize that amount. there's nothing wrong but unless you want to slip stream a service pack, just install then install the service packs and adjust the partitions then.

use the search function for a more detailed explanation. This has been answered many times (and I'm too lazy to look it up again)

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Agreed. Why don't you just have 2 partitions anyway? That gives you a back up partition to hold your data in case you need a clean install. Also partition imaging (backup) software needs a separate partition to back up to.

Or you can slipstream SP2 on to an install CD, as said.