Sign in with
Your question

Ancient IBM 6563-W4G Bios Trouble

Last response: in Motherboards
September 13, 2008 1:06:14 AM

Hi all,
I am trying to install more RAM onto a IBM 6563-W4G, Its for my sister in law Just to go on Facebook, but needs 256 to run Antivirus ect, I had to install XP onto it as it came with corrupted windows 2000,I went with the crucial website advice and bought 512 x 2 of SDRAM PC 133 to the system specs. It would not recognise anything over 64mb, I was told to update the BIOS, so I went to IBM Bios Update, Via Lenovo and presto there it was IN JAPANESE, I selected option 2 for English but it still comes Up with Japanese, as i know what to type N for everything, will this work or not, or can you point me to an english version, as i am to old to learn Japanese.
September 13, 2008 2:03:29 AM

No this is the one I need, but as you can see it says Japanese at the bottom in brackets, and when you save the image and reboot, it gives you 22 options #1 USA #2 ENGLISH, I selected #2, but it goes into Japanese.
Related resources
a c 233 V Motherboard
September 13, 2008 2:56:28 AM

I thought that file pjjt41a.exe was not Japanese, but that file pjj241a.exe is Japanese. So they provide 2 different files, but both are Japanese?
September 13, 2008 4:15:21 PM

one just gives you a licence agreement and one is the write to diskette file which comes up japanese am i right or do you extract the english version somehow
a c 233 V Motherboard
September 13, 2008 8:03:54 PM

I don't understand where your issue is, but I don't have an old PC to test it. When I double-click pjjt41a.exe in Windows XP, the DOS window that opens up is in English, not in Japanese. By following on-screen instructions, a bootable diskette is created. It could then be used to boot the PC and flash the BIOS.

When I executed pjjt41a.exe , the following occurred:

1. The diskette was formatted
2. The program then displayed "Extraction complete"

Here's an excerpt from the README.1ST on the diskette:

* SHELL=FLASH2.EXE option1 option2 option3......optionxx *
* OPTIONS *
* /U UNATTENDED MODE. ALL DEFAULTS ARE ASSUMED (UNLESS *
* OVERRIDDEN BY OTHER OPTION STATEMENTS) AND ALL *
* PROMPTS ARE BYPASSED. ANY ERRORS WILL RESULT IN *
* PROGRAM TERMINATION WITHOUT ANY ERROR INDICATION. *
* <<< USE THIS OPTION WITH CAUTION >>> *
* /US COUNTRY CODE (LANGUAGE). THIS CAN BE ANY OF THE *
* VALID COUNTRY CODES (UK, SV, SU, SP, PO, NO, NL, *
* IT, GR, FR, DK, CF, CE, BE, LA, US, SF, SG, BR,JP, *

As you can see, that isn't Japanese. The Autoexec.bat starts flash2.exe with no options.

BTW, the BIOS file for US English is $IMAGEPJ.USF.
September 14, 2008 2:32:41 AM

I will Re Try
!