Sign in with
Your question

Cooling 8800gts (640mb)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 15, 2008 6:06:55 PM

alright, I have a currently 8800gts 640mb, I have software that tells me its tempurature. I did find out though that its tempurature is normal. It should be around 60 C idle, and can get up to 85 C when underload. I really dont want my card heating up that hot, even 60 C I dont like it being that hot! So I got to 2 fans each 12volt which are spares i found in my house, does anyone know specifically the best place to put them for maximum cooling effect, should it be under the card? on top? on the side? infront? Any help would be apprieciated!

More about : cooling 8800gts 640mb

a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2008 6:19:14 PM

Why not just find a decent aftermarket cooler for one...it will probably run you $30-35. I used to have one and with the stock cooler ran around 70C at load. If anything, pull the heatsink, clean the old paste and reapply some AC5 or something else good. That should at least help some. Boost the speed on your fan.
July 15, 2008 6:25:45 PM

Card is 2 weeks old, i think cooling paste is still okay!
Related resources
July 15, 2008 6:36:33 PM

Download RivaTuner and up your fan speed until you get the desired temps.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2008 6:47:42 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
Card is 2 weeks old, i think cooling paste is still okay!

It isn't that the stock stuff goes bad, it's that the stock stuff is never as good as AS5 or something similar.
July 15, 2008 7:40:39 PM

Yeah I know about rivatuner and the applying new paste isn't really nesecary in my case, I just want to know where the extra 2 fans I have would be best and cool the card the most.
July 15, 2008 10:05:08 PM

The 8800gts cooler (both g80 and g92 versions are basically the same) is the best dual slot stock cooler in existance. It shouldn't run nearly that hot. That's not normal. Rma it, it's what you do for defective product.

My g92 8800gts @ 780mhz does not go above 60C at max load in stress test. At that point, a high end aftermarket cooler will not do much better, an average aftermarket cooler will do worse. Those aftermarket dual slot coolers are meant for 8800gt.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2008 11:38:11 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
I just want to know where the extra 2 fans I have would be best and cool the card the most.

It depends on your case, my G80 was in a Dell BTX box, so installing an 80 mm fan on the rear grill helped to remove the heat released from the slots on the cards shroud. In an ATX case, a pci slot fan works best because it can be positioned beneath the card.
July 16, 2008 2:32:27 AM

Alright dagger: I called evga which is the seller for my card and he said that is perfectly normal for it run at 85 degrees under stress and around 60C idle. I kind of dont know who to believe.
And also my fan can be put beneath the card but where beneath, the card in my case is put upside down (fan on the bottom), would I put the extra under the graphics card's own cooling fan or something or in another place.
And also I put a small fan on the rear grill and cools down from 60 C at idle to 54 C idle, buts thats still really hot!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2008 2:38:36 AM

that is pretty hot... while doing ATI stess test in the ATI Tool... the hottest I've seen my 8800 gts 640 get is 85 C... AFTER AN HOUR... during normal load it doesn't go above 60 C... and it usually idles at 52 C

July 16, 2008 2:46:24 AM

Well, obviously they don't want you to rma the card. So there's a conflict of interest there. :D 

Use this to stress your card. Most games can't stress fully and consistantly, so you don't actually get the max temperature.
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2008 3:04:11 AM

blackhawk1928 said:

And also my fan can be put beneath the card but where beneath, the card in my case is put upside down (fan on the bottom), would I put the extra under the graphics card's own cooling fan or something or in another place.
And also I put a small fan on the rear grill and cools down from 60 C at idle to 54 C idle, buts thats still really hot!

You would need a pci slot fan to go under the card, and your temps aren't too bad, adding the slot fan to what you have already done may bring you down another 2-4 degree's.
July 16, 2008 3:23:13 AM

I downloaded furmark and impressivly the card got to 86 C with that thing with 4 fans cooling that card!!! Wow wow this stuff runs hot. And also where exactly would it go under the card, where the cooling fan is? just anywhere under it, cause the card is in a plastic case!
July 16, 2008 3:49:04 AM

And also is making fan speed higher lets say 100%, would it damage the fan after a while? will it shorten its life a lot?
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2008 11:31:37 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
I downloaded furmark and impressivly the card got to 86 C with that thing with 4 fans cooling that card!!! Wow wow this stuff runs hot. And also where exactly would it go under the card, where the cooling fan is? just anywhere under it, cause the card is in a plastic case!

The card has a plastic shroud, in that shroud are slots that release hot air back into your machine. You could tape them up , so that the hot air is forced out, or add the pci slot fan to draw the hot air out.
Running the card's fan at 100% won't decrease it's life ( that's what it's rated to run at, they lower it to make the card quiet ), running it lower may extend it's life.
What 's the room temp ?
How long have you had the card ?, and have you ever dusted it with canned air ?
a c 187 U Graphics card
July 16, 2008 1:51:38 PM

And I thought ATITools` `scan for artifacts` was a tough test! Fumark took my 16 month old, BFG factory oc`d 8800 640 to 90 degrees on stock cooling so your temperatures seem fine to me.
As with any cooling issues, first check the airflow in your case. Tie the internal wiring neatly out of the way, check the case fans are working and the intake is clear. If there is a place for one install an intake fan at the front of the case (maybe one of your spares?) and, depending on case, move the hard drive/s up to allow more air to reach the GPU cooler intake.
All of the pci fans I have seen are designed to exhaust air out of the case and, if placed close to the intake of the GPU cooler will draw air away from it, the last thing it needs!
Try increasing the cooler fan speed with Rivatuner to about 85-90%, this will lower the temperatures without turning the fan into a leafblower or drastically shortening its life.
Enlarge the fan you have added to the grille outside.
If all else fails, add one of the spare fans to the GPU cooler intake, to blow extra air into it but use something like blu-tack to hold it in position so it can be moved or removed easily. If this works you will have to find your own way to mount it more permanantly (without voiding the warranty).
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2008 2:37:40 PM

coozie7 said:
All of the pci fans I have seen are designed to exhaust air out of the case and, if placed close to the intake of the GPU cooler will draw air away from it, the last thing it needs!

All true, but most pci fans are only 4 to 5 inches long, placing it over the slots in the shroud, and allowing it to remove the air released by those slots without interfering with the cards intake.
Looks like this;
http://contrvlr.no-ip.org:12300/ussdirect/cb/IMG_0674.J...

By the way , that's a reverse ATX case, not an upside down photo.
a c 187 U Graphics card
July 16, 2008 6:14:25 PM

Oh, sorry, my mistake:(  Good idea though, if I can find one I`ll add it to my system, after all you can never have too good a cooling system.
July 16, 2008 6:35:26 PM

I saw the picture with the pci slot fan cooling the card where those grills are, however should the fan be blowing air into the gril or pulling it out the grill?
July 16, 2008 6:36:34 PM

Oh wait nevermind, the fans pulls the air out right
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2008 6:38:55 PM

The slot fan in the photo is an exhaust ( pulls air out of the card and blows it out of the case ).
July 16, 2008 7:26:09 PM

Yeah i figured, if it does exactly that then it should help significantly.
July 16, 2008 8:25:43 PM

That pci slot fan, it doesn't have to be attached to the videocard in anyway right, I just put it another pci slot, becuase I am afraid that if i gotta modify something in the card it will void warranty.
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2008 9:01:01 PM

No, it doesn't get attatched to the card.
July 17, 2008 12:47:38 AM

Excellent, I was going research on it all day and I ordered one already, looks like it works well cause the design is quite similar to the cards cooling system cause it exhausts the hot air outside.
July 17, 2008 5:37:19 AM

How many degrees you think a pci slot fan can shed off from my card in CELCIUS.
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2008 11:49:12 AM

2 to 4 degree's, I don't think I know anyone who use's the "F" word when talking about computer temps.
July 17, 2008 3:51:48 PM

What? I never used the "f" word. Who are you talking about? Nobody on this topic thread used the "f" word so what are you talking about?
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2008 10:19:58 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
What? I never used the "f" word. Who are you talking about? Nobody on this topic thread used the "f" word so what are you talking about?

You asked;

"How many degrees you think a pci slot fan can shed off from my card in CELCIUS."

I replied;

"2 to 4 degree's, I don't think I know anyone who use's the "F" word when talking about computer temps."

The "F" word that nobody else uses when talking about computer temps is Farenhieght, trying to let you know I meant celsius.

Chillout
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2008 10:25:52 PM

lol... way to pick up on it black hawk...

July 18, 2008 4:43:56 AM

Blackhawk man have you tried taping up the vents on the card? if you look on the cooler side of the card there are 4 or 5 gaps in the plastic where you will be able to see the heatsink, you want to tape those holes up, what they do is recycle hot hair straight back into the case, making no sense, so tape them up and they will blow staight out the back. its a common cooling mod.
July 18, 2008 4:18:52 PM

It helps??? Well i wont have to do it cuase i am going to put a pci slot fan that will blow out all the hot air and exhaust it out the back so i dont need taping. PCI fan will take care of that
!