Will dual core help on remote connection over pentium 4?

777chris

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Hi,

I currently have Pentium 4 (400) and my employer suggested that upgrading to dual core may improve productivity. I know that dual core is faster/more efficient overall, but will it really make much of a difference when I connect to my employer via a remote desktop connection? I primarily use my computer for internet and word processing applications. (no games)

I always assumed that as long as my internet connection was strong and fast that the rest depended on their system. Is this correct?

Thanks!

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
No, LAN speed determines the speed of the remote connection. With a relatively new CPU the bottleneck, however minor it would be, would be in the connection. For basic tasks such as typing in Office or surfing on the internet, not much benefit would come from dual-core unless you are buying a more energy efficient processor to lower overhead costs such as the AMD 4850e or Intel E7200.

777chris

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008

777chris

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008

It wasn't my boss, but a supervisor who isnt an IT person who thought it "might" be a problem.

I'm just trying to figure out if I really need to spend my own $$ on a new computer that may or may not solve a problem. If it will solve a problem, then I'm all for it.

TRENDING THREADS