Your question

Prime95, have i damaged my CPU/component

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2009 3:38:47 AM

Hi.

So here's the deal:

A few days ago i decided to use prime95 to test my PC, i got a test running, forgot which one, but a few moments later i change my mind and decide to stop it. Well problem is i was so tired that i didnt use the stop test button, i just right clicked the prime95 tray icon and chose exit while the test was runing wihtout giving it a second thought. After that when i rebooted, my PC was REALLY slow, it took me a minute just to open the control panel. Well now i'm in the process of reinstalling my PC so i can't see if its significantly slower or not, but i'm really paranoid about these things and i'm still worried that terminating the stress test like that might have damaged one of my components.

Any opinions. Is it possible that i have damaged my CPU or memory or something else?

Thanks and sorry for the spelling.
June 21, 2009 3:50:41 AM

open prime95 and stop the test....
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2009 4:24:46 AM

LOL, aye.

BTW, your cpu *should* have shut itself down if it overheated.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2009 4:32:10 AM

I don't think i am making my self clear.
I dont have prime95 on my system anymore, i have since formated it via the vista DVD and reinstalled vista.

My question has nothing to do with overheating or the test itself. I want to know if terminating prime95 while the test is still runing, without using the stop version to...well stop it, can damage your CPU or any other component, taking in to account what i explained in my first post
a c 197 K Overclocking
June 21, 2009 1:51:02 PM

No. That's how I usually stop P95 from running.

By the way, the small fft test stresses the CPU the most.
July 16, 2010 1:58:37 AM

Hi, I just thought you might be interested in this article. I'm trying to find out how to safely shut down computer after I accidentally minimized Prime95. Now I can't find it but its still running in my processes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime95
July 22, 2010 2:41:06 AM

Quote:
I don't think i am making my self clear.
I dont have prime95 on my system anymore, i have since formated it via the vista DVD and reinstalled vista.

My question has nothing to do with overheating or the test itself. I want to know if terminating prime95 while the test is still runing, without using the stop version to...well stop it, can damage your CPU or any other component, taking in to account what i explained in my first post

I don't think you damaged your computer by shutting down that way. But what probably did happen is Prime95 was still running in the back round even when you rebooted If you were to check your computer processes that were running im sure it would have been there. It is designed to run that way by the geeks looking for new prime numbers. However, the correct way to shut it down is file / stop.

You need to understand p95. There is the searching for prime numbers function and there are the stress tests. Apples and oranges. But remember it is all a big stress on your computer. It will run hot and the load on the CPU is 100%. Its a good test. If your machine can run the stress test for 12 or 24 hours you have a stable machine.

Don't feel bad. I went through the same stuff after my first build. It was more my lack of understanding P95 than a bad machine.

I hope I helped you. Make sure you read the article in wikipedia. good luck
!