Sign in with
Your question

Do you change any components when going from e6600 to an i7?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 21, 2009 4:59:50 AM

I'm finally making an upgrade and am going from a e6600 to a i7 920. I'm not sure if my water block or other gadgets in my setup will fit. Do I need to change anything or is my current water block okay. I assume if its okay, Ill need some sort of 'adapter' or mount so that I can mount it on my new motherboard. Im guessing the water block wont fit right? Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Setup:
i7 920 + ASUS Rampage II Extreme Mobo
Ati hd4870 (stock fan)
Ati x1900 xtx (water cooled)

Swiftech STORM Revision 2 water block
DangerDen maze4 for the x1900
Swiftech MCP655 12V pump
Swiftech mcres reservoir
Swiftech Radiator MCR320 Quiet Power

Thx!

PS: If I convert my x1900 to stock air, is there any replacement fan or screws for it I can buy? I have the fan for the card, but am missing 2 of the screws used to screw it into the card. Thats the reason my x1900 is water-cooled and not my 4870.

PS2: Do you guys recommend any additives or cooling fluid for my water setup? Something that makes the system run cooler?
a c 86 K Overclocking
June 21, 2009 6:17:37 AM

Distilled water and an approved biocide. Meaning Petras PHN Nuke or a IanH killcoil. There is nothing better, less troublesome than that. Unless you work at NASA and can get some Unobtainium fluid.

A LGA 1366 board has diff CPU cooling mounting hole spacing. So you'll need another top for that block or a fully new block. HeatKiller 3.0, Swiftech GTZ, Umm those are the best now.

The rest of your stuff is fine for WC a basic i7 920. If your a BIGGGG overclocker, your rad could be possibly a bit weak in size for best temps, but prolly just okay. Give it a try with what you have once you work out the CPU block issue.

Replacement screws for what part? Where the actual HS bolts on to the GPU chip? You have the air HS parts, all you need to do is ask around or find someone with a TINY set of taps to figure out the size. If you have 2 screws and are missing the other two, go to a watch shop and ask them. Once you know the size, there are billions of places on the web to buy the exact screws you need.

I know watercooling, I can't help you with your screw hole size. Maybe tech support to the manu of the board?
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2009 6:58:26 PM

crewxp said:
I'm finally making an upgrade and am going from a e6600 to a i7 920. I'm not sure if my water block or other gadgets in my setup will fit. Do I need to change anything or is my current water block okay. I assume if its okay, Ill need some sort of 'adapter' or mount so that I can mount it on my new motherboard. Im guessing the water block wont fit right? Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Setup:
i7 920 + ASUS Rampage II Extreme Mobo
Ati hd4870 (stock fan)
Ati x1900 xtx (water cooled)

Swiftech STORM Revision 2 water block
DangerDen maze4 for the x1900
Swiftech MCP655 12V pump
Swiftech mcres reservoir
Swiftech Radiator MCR320 Quiet Power

Look at motherboards. I mean really look. Some Core i7 motherboards have two sets of cooler mounting holes. The inner set is for mounting LGA-775 coolers.
Related resources
June 21, 2009 8:23:16 PM

Thanks for the info. Im going to try and find a picture of the ASUS Rampage II Extreme to see if i can see the holes.
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2009 8:25:09 PM

True that. IIRC there is a Foxconn and MSI board that has LGA775+1366 holes. However, the board OP listed (ASUS Rampage) doesn't have LGA775 holes.

As far as screws goes, take a stroll at Home Depot/Ace,etc you may find them there if lucky.
a b K Overclocking
June 22, 2009 12:35:09 AM

Shadow703793 said:
True that. IIRC there is a Foxconn and MSI board that has LGA775+1366 holes. However, the board OP listed (ASUS Rampage) doesn't have LGA775 holes.

As far as screws goes, take a stroll at Home Depot/Ace,etc you may find them there if lucky.

The Rampage II Gene and P6T have them however.
!