dsmagic

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Here are my parts:

Mobo: GA-P35-DS3L 2.0
Cpu: Q6600 go
RAM: Gskill 4gb(2*2)
Video card: 9800 GTX
Cooler: Xigatek s1283 (with LGA bolt kit)
HD: Seagate 750 sata, WD 160 sata
DVD-ROM: 2* Samsung sata DL drive
Power: Corsair 750W
Case: Antec 900

Last night I spend 5 hours putting everything together. I plugged the power in the wall, and hit the corsair switch. The lights for my PS2 connected keyboard came on for 3 seconds. When I press the power button for Antec 900 case, nothing else happened. So I tried another wall outlet, same problem. I unmounted the power supply, and tried it on a very old motherboard that had the 24-pin connector. The led for the old motherboard came on. It was around 2:35 in the morning so I had to stop there to go to bed for work today. I will not be able to troubleshoot until I get back home, but I was looking for some ideas. Three main questions I have:

1. If I take the cooler off and check the cpu pins, will I have to re-apply AS5.
2. Since I have power for three seconds on the PS2 keyboard, does that mean that the p35-ds3l still works?
3. Red washers came with the Antec case, does those washers go between the brass screws and the motherboard?

Thanks for the help.

Misocainea

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
To answer your questions:

1) If the AS5 is still "gooey" then you should be able to get away without reapplying, if it is solid then you should re-apply

2) Having power for 3 seconds does not mean for sure that your motherboard works, it's entirely possible your motherboard is bad.

3) Yes those washers go between the screws and the motherboard, but in my experience not using them doesn't hurt anything.

Now as for finding out what is wrong, disconnect EVERYTHING but the mobo, CPU, RAM, use onboard video if possible but if it isn't plug your vid card in as well. Power the system on by shorting the 2 power switch pins with a screwdriver. If your system boots like this then add components back one by one to find the faulty device

Next thing I would check is to see if all power connecters are hooked to your board 24 pin connector and 4 or 8 pin connector, not sure which your board uses)

Next, try is taking one stick of RAM out and see if that works, if it doesn't remove that stick and try the other.

If you are using a video card then make sure power is connected to that properly. If nothing try swapping video cards.

If all of that fails then it is likely that you have a dead motherboard.

eofu

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Actually the red washers shouldn't be used on the holes of the motherboard that have metalic rings. This is cause they are used to ground the motherboard to the case.

Here is the article that explains - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/145/2

If you have a multimeter you can test the pinouts of the PSU by tripping it with a paper clip. You can get a Digital MultiMeter(DMM) really cheap for about $27 usd at autozone or something. But for $27 don't expect a Fluke or other name brand DMM, but it should still work and plus it's nice to have a DMM if your putting together PC's.

Here is an article explaining how to test the PSU along with the pinouts.

http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/1487_1.html

Read the whole thing and you should be able to troubleshoot your PSU.

Personally I think something is shorting the board. If your CPU cooler has a metal backplate then take a look and see if it is touching any traces or small components on the board. If so try wrapping it in electrical tape.

dsmagic

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Thanks for the help, I was rushing that last 5 minutes because I was sleepy. When I got off work, I took the computer apart. I set up everything with out the case. I was missed three connectors (HD led, PW switch, and pw reset) Thanks again for the help. I was worried, because I have been getting parts over a two period. If the mobo was bad, Newegg would not have RMA for me.